huge Zucchini - what to do with them

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

After tons of rain and weeds that make the corn look like midgets - I found 4 HUGE zucchini yesterday. I don't bake much and won't make bread. Any ideas how to use them monsters? I'm sure the seeds will very large - will the birds eat them ? What to do?

Atascadero, CA(Zone 8a)

Hi...as you know, they get like that overnight it seems...LOL. This was posted a few days ago and is very similar to one I make that is fabulous. Into canning???

http://davesgarden.com/t/438538/zuchinni+relish

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

that's a good idea - but I'm leaving for vacation Friday - I need to use them now. BUT this is a GREAT idea.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

I'd make Zuke pancakes outta of 'em. Delish.
(Edited to say I have never included the mint, prefer it w/out.)

Note: The following "pic recipe" is taken from, and credited to, the first edition of the Moosewood Cookbook.

This message was edited Jun 22, 2004 11:06 AM

Thumbnail by Horseshoe
Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

The big ones I like to split length wise...scoop the centers out a bit and stuff with shredded chedder, browned pork sausage, bread crumbs, and egg.
Bake covered at 300 for 20 to 30 minutes.
Yum!

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

riker...yummy. I've fixed em similar to that. I think they are called "zu-canoes"!

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

I like that name....cute :-)

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

Yummmm, Shoe! I cut them into 1/4 inch thick discs, dip in beaten egg and soda cracker crumbs and fry in a bit of oil until brown. Drain on paper towels, then sprinkle with dry parmesan cheese or squirt some lemon juice on them. Eat some for me ok? Mine will be a while but I do have some little green ones I can already recognize as zucchini.

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

I feed the big ones to the quail and chukars they love them. Bet chickens would to. I am talking the huge ones the just big I fry.

How much zuk can a zuk eater eat anyway. Ernie

Pembroke Pines, FL(Zone 10a)

I'm gonna git me some!!!

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Make pineapple zuke cake in a jar or just in small loaves and give as gifts at Christmas, etc. To make in a jar, make the usual quick bread recipe and pour a wide mouth pint canning/freezing jar to about 1/2 to 2/3 full. Bake on a cookie sheet until done. Put on the flat which has been soaking for a few minutes in just boiled water and tighten a ring down well. As the bread cools the lid will seal just like a canning jar. If the bread is over the edge of the jar a bit use a sharp knife to cut it off level with the edge of the jar and then proceed. Check every few days/weeks/months as time passes and use any bread that has popped it's seal immediately. I've never had a jar really go so bad I had to pitch it.

I also just grate it, measure it into recipe size and put into freezer bags. Freeze laid out flat and thin for easier thawing.

Castro Valley, CA(Zone 9a)

What terrific ideas you guys have come up with, now I really want to grow some!! lol

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.