Pointsettia seeds

Mount Prospect, IL(Zone 5a)

One of my Christmas pointsettias produced seeds. I had been watching 6 months for them to ripen. I was not able to find any information on how to handle this and wondered if I could plant them now? I'd like to carry this through and see what will happen. Anyone have any advice? Doris

CREZIERES, France(Zone 8a)

Tom Clothier's germination database ex Deno gives 50-85 which should mean start off at 50 fahrenheit and move to 85F (that's hot!) after a couple of months.
I have mislaid my Deno second edition so cannot find what the appropriate time at 50 is...

In my experience, many Euphorbias are very tricky to propagate.

It might be best to keep them in the fridge until next March or April, then sow them out of doors in a very sunny spot. When you sow them could be determined by when you expect temperatures of 85 F!

Mount Prospect, IL(Zone 5a)

Oh dear! I guess this isn't as easy as I thought it would be! This must be the reason why these are grown in greenhouses! In another few weeks we should be getting temps up in the 80s and low 90s, but we are going through a cool spell and our temps are below average for this time of year! I like the idea of waiting til next year! Thanks for letting me know, Doris

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.