Show off your annuals.....

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

I started a similar thread in Perennials, but now all my annuals are blooming. Let's see what everyone's got. Maybe a bit of seed swapping to boot!

I was in the mood for macro shots yesterday so here's a few....

Zinnia 'Dreamland Scarlet'

Thumbnail by langbr
Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Zinnia California Giant Mix

Thumbnail by langbr
Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Cleome (Spider Flower)

Thumbnail by langbr
Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Self-seeding Larkspur with some yarrow mixed in

Thumbnail by langbr
Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

A purple larkspur that I'm not sure where it came from.

Thumbnail by langbr
Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Calibrachoa 'Superbells Red'

Thumbnail by langbr
Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Lantana

Thumbnail by langbr
Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Great photos, langbr, and such great color for the garden.

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Thanks Joanne! I take ALOT of photos...unfortunately most are not keepers (or at least not for public viewing!).

This message was edited Jul 1, 2004 8:40 AM

Milo, IA(Zone 5a)

Cockscomb from Tree_climber

Thumbnail by Debby
Milo, IA(Zone 5a)

Ace of Spades Sweet Potato Vine and Wave Petunias from Brugie

Thumbnail by Debby
Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Love the red of those Petunias, Debby!

'Orange Porcupine' Calendula with some verbena 'Blue Princess' in the background.

(Corrected my spelling of calendula)

This message was edited Jun 22, 2004 10:29 PM

Thumbnail by langbr
Milo, IA(Zone 5a)

Langbr: Great photos. They are so vivid.
Here is a pale pink somnifernum poppy.

Thumbnail by Debby
Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

I have yet to grow poppies. On my list for next year. Keep 'em coming. Gives me lots of ideas.

Gazania 'Daybreak' Bunnies have repeatedly cut these to the ground, so much that I've given up and relegated them to bunny food!

Thumbnail by langbr
Milo, IA(Zone 5a)

Here's another somniferum poppy. If you grow them once you will fall in love with them.

Thumbnail by Debby
Milo, IA(Zone 5a)

How about a shaggy looking poppy

Thumbnail by Debby
Milo, IA(Zone 5a)

The last poppy for tonight.
Fringed Pink Poppy

Thumbnail by Debby
Milo, IA(Zone 5a)

Calandula or Pot Marigold

Thumbnail by Debby
Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Wow, Debby...you must be the poppy queen! (Gosh don't tell Poppysue I said that! LOL!). Very, very purdy!

Now I should sow these outdoors in the fall here in the Midwest right? (PS I'm out of town for the next week so don't be alarmed if I don't respond right away).

Milo, IA(Zone 5a)

langbr: I love the poppys, they are so easy to grow and reward you with lots of seeds.
For the best results in the Midwest sow seeds of annual poppy in late winter or early spring. We can sow them on top of the last snow in March and they will come up. They need the cool temps to germinate.

Knoxville, TN(Zone 7a)

Here's my bed of celosia, dreamland zinnias, lady in red salvia, an unnamed blue salvia, a buddelia lindleyana, and cannas.

Thumbnail by nathalyn
Knoxville, TN(Zone 7a)

And look at how big my sweet potato vines are already! I think that they think they are kudzu.

Thumbnail by nathalyn
Knoxville, TN(Zone 7a)

And I love this portulaca that has burgandy foliage.

And Debby, I love your poppies!!!

Thumbnail by nathalyn
Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7b)

Love those poppies! Like Debby says, "If you grow them once you will fall in love with them"!

That shaggy looking poppy is nice!

Here's another one to add to the collection - Poppy "Black Peony":

Thumbnail by PVick
Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7b)

Everyone's pics are so pretty and colorful! I garden on a terrace and try my best to grow everything I see! You guys aren't helping! LOL!

Another of my pots this year - Poached Eggs and Dianthus "Zing":

Thumbnail by PVick
Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7b)

And this petunia - "Purple Pirouette":

Thumbnail by PVick
Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7b)

And one last picture - another poppy! Papaver somniferum - a red scallop-edge variety.

Thanks for all the pics, folks - hope you enjoy mine!

PV

Thumbnail by PVick
Milo, IA(Zone 5a)

Nat: I love your Purple Majesty with the sweet potatoes, they all are doing super.
Vic: Your doing good for Balcony Gardening. Thanks, for posting more poppies and that purple petunia is a knockout.
Maybe next year I will have the Black Peony Poppy in my gardens, always have intentions of adding her, time gets away.

Petaluma, CA(Zone 9a)

langbr, great thread! I love getting ideas for annuals to try next year. I started these zinnias from Park's Scabious pastel mix, Dreamland mix & Bicolor whirligig. Picked a bouquet for pic-they're scattered all over yard. Please more zinnias!!:0) They just seem to say summer to me!
Kathy

This message was edited Jun 26, 2004 2:54 PM

Thumbnail by kwells
Marysville, WA(Zone 7a)

Interesting happening. The white poppy seed I recieved from Amy has thrown both single and double flowers.

Thumbnail by balvenie
Marysville, WA(Zone 7a)

another view of the single.

Thumbnail by balvenie
Marysville, WA(Zone 7a)

Better double white view. Could this be 'fluffy ruffles'?

Thumbnail by balvenie
Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Nat - Love that burgundy portulaca! I've never seen it...do you know the name?

kwells--this year is my first year for lots of zinnias and I'm really liking the way they are filling some gaps this time of year. I think I'll be doing more of them next year too!

balvenie - now that's an interesting development. Are they on the same plant or different? If same plant I'd say it's some kind of mutation. On different plants, could be that Amy had some cross-pollination occur that she wasn't aware of on her plants.

(edited to correct grammar)

This message was edited Jul 1, 2004 8:39 AM

Knoxville, TN(Zone 7a)

Langbr, I don't know the name of the portulaca. But it doesn't turn burgandy until it receives full sun - - so the plants are green at the nurseries when you buy them. I will try and stop by the nursery that is close to my house to see if they have anymore - - to see if they have a tag that indicates the name.

Marysville, WA(Zone 7a)

langbr. different plants.Labels on each plant now so next year will show some interestiing results.

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Nat - I'd sure appreciate it if you could get the name. Portulaca are a sentimental fav of mine, but don't go out of your way to make a special trip. Just next time you're in there.

balvenie - great! an experiment that will take a year to see the results of.....how exciting!

Knoxville, TN(Zone 7a)

Langbr, I went by last night and it's called Yubi portulaca. http://www.theflowerfields.com/ffa/gardener.aspx?tabid=1

The foliage was mainly green until I placed mine in full sun. And the foliage is more similar to a jade plant -- wide flat leaves - - than regular portulaca that has needle like foliage.

Thumbnail by nathalyn
Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Well I'll be!!! You're right it's got wide leaves. I gotta see if I can find this around here even though it's getting late in the annual season here. Maybe I'll just get seeds for next year. Thanks for sharing such a wonderful new plant twist on an old favorite!

Cassopolis, MI(Zone 5a)

This is a shirley poppy that I really like

Thumbnail by aknapp
Cassopolis, MI(Zone 5a)

A really dark purple peony poppy

Thumbnail by aknapp

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.