How is your coleus doing?

Muscoda, WI(Zone 4b)

#3 (of series)
(...one week later (a little photo manipulation to remove an ugly background :-))

Thumbnail by julie88
Muscoda, WI(Zone 4b)

#4 (of series...one more to go...)
And here's one of the two containers, one month from the day I first transplanted the cuttings. This photo was taken this morning.

Thumbnail by julie88
Muscoda, WI(Zone 4b)

(#5...LAST ONE!)
And here's a shot of the container with the plants made from cuttings in it's "home" in front of the container where it's "mother" lives. Notice how much larger the leaves on the new plants are than those of the parent plant. I *may* have watered the plants in with Miracle Grow when I first transplanted them...I honestly can't remember. But I do know that all they've gotten since that time is water and a daily conversation. :-D

See, Dale...I told you it was easy...and the very best way I know to get that "leggy" plant of yours to 'toe the mark' would be to take cuttings and start fresh. If it still wants to stay lean and lanky...plant SEVERAL in the same pot!
(If you don't want to do it...you can always send ME the cuttings! ;-))

~julie~

Thumbnail by julie88
Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Julie - GREAT step-by-step! LOVE your "ears" too!!

Muscoda, WI(Zone 4b)

Thanks Brenda...it took me all day to figure out which pics to work with and to get them uploaded. I think I have the DG upload system, as well my resize/fix it routine down pat. Next time it shouldn't take forever to get it all together. ;-)

Now...what "ears"? (Arrows?)

~julie~

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

I may get a chance to replace all my coleus as I am readying myself and dog to evacuate my island probably late tomorrow afternoon is when it will be come mandatory.. I hate doing this. Three time in 35 years and came home to a few branches dwon was all...lucky. But as I get older, I don't get braver, so I will evacuate. I'm sheltering my plants as best I can and bringing in a few. Say your prayers. please!
Dale

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Dale, please keep us posted here http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/449699/ at least until there's a new thread for Charlie

We all worry about each other

Muscoda, WI(Zone 4b)

Dale ...STAY SAFE! Prayers are being sent your way.

~julie~

Kingston, OK(Zone 7a)

Hope yoou have a plaace nice and cozy to go to. Take care of yourself.

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Julie - your "ears" behind the trellis in your last pic!!

Muscoda, WI(Zone 4b)

OH!!! The Caladiums! Brenda, this is the first year I've grown them...and they are WONDERFUL! I never knew that they had flowers, so I was really surprised when that "odd" leaf unfolded. :-D

If you'll tell me where to do it, I'll post a few pics of my collection.

And thanks again.
~julie~

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

They have FLOWERS??? See what I know? I got my first 4 this year but have neglected them a bit in watering. I'll bring them in for the winter and try to do better next year.

Post pics maybe in Tropicals?

Muscoda, WI(Zone 4b)

Brenda, yep! Flowers!!
And since I'm not sure where they belong, how about I post them in the PDB and come back a leave a couple of links here so you'll be able to find them. :-)

~julie~

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

I was preparing to evacuate(mandatory). My storm shutters were up, my favorite plants inside, my dog in the car. After a frantic two days I pulled out of the driveway, never knowing if I'd see any of it again. I was as calm as one can be but when they changed the storm from a category 2 to a 4, I was so tired, running on adrenalin, I sat down and cried. I didn't know what to pray for...not for it to go somewhere else and devastate them. So I just told Him that he had a plan and for a reason and ate a PB an J sandwich. It was heading directly for our island and at the last hour, literally, it took a small jog and missed us by going into Charlotte County. We then would be spared the damage as well as the tidal surge. If it had gone in at Tampa, we whould have had a terrible tital surge and things would be flooded, but not knocked down by the winds. But where it hit, it was supposed to go right up the coast which would have been the wost for the whole area. But it stayed on its path and headed to the center of the state. We were spared completely. Why? We now have a campaign "The Storm that was supposed to be ours wasn't so we will send you our storm supplies." And today to add insult to injury, it poured rain with lightning and thunder over these poor folks. We all learned after Andrew that we have to wait a week or so before sending supplies or money. There is no hierarchy in place to manage, sirt, distribute what is needed, so much of what was donated to the victims of Andrew,,,blankets,,,clothes,,,sheets,,,sat out in the weather and was ruined. Let them have a few days to shake off the cloud and get back into reality so our donations can be used to the best of their abilities. I know we are not supposed to advertise here, but I urge you to send a check to the National Red Cross. These people are sitting begging for ice and water. Many of them elderly who had found paradise to live out their golden years and there is nothing left. I was so lucky and can't stop thanking God...now is the time to get up and do something constructive for those so badly injured,,,mentally and financially,,,please join me. 25 miles...25 miles is all it took for me to be sitting in a cool room typing on my computer. It is in the 90's now with mosquitoes galore...a five dollar check could buy bug spray so badly needed. Thanks!

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Well said, Dale. Glad you are safe. There is a whole very long thread about the FL DGers here, where you might also want to post. We've been trying to check on everyone in this thread, http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/450239/

Muscoda, WI(Zone 4b)

Dale...I thank God that you're Okay.

~julie~

Freedom, PA(Zone 6a)

Here are some pictures of my Coleus this year, I fell in love with them this year. Cathy

Thumbnail by cbrandenburg
Freedom, PA(Zone 6a)

another

Freedom, PA(Zone 6a)

one more this one is called Solar Eclipse

This message was edited Aug 22, 2004 7:55 PM

Freedom, PA(Zone 6a)

Love this one, I do know the names of some of my coleus, just didn't jot them down when I took some pictures.

Freedom, PA(Zone 6a)

This is the same as above called Saturn

Freedom, PA(Zone 6a)

one more

Freedom, PA(Zone 6a)

sorry these pictures are blury, having problems with my digital camera.

Freedom, PA(Zone 6a)

here is one more

Muscoda, WI(Zone 4b)

Oh my...you have some real beauties! Hopefully, next year I'll have some new ones too. I love that purple one.

~julie~

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

Could someone who knows about how to keep coleus fluffy and full and can also draw, draw a plant with explanations of where and when to prune/pinch? I know we would all appreciate it. You could scan it to the forum...please...I just got some new coleus fro Rosy Dawn Nursery and they should be here in a week!

I used the first pinch technique here...

Thumbnail by DaleP6
Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

Brug...what groundcover is growing in your first photo post,,,coleus under brug? Here is anothe of may failure coleuse,,,leggy

Thumbnail by DaleP6
Muscoda, WI(Zone 4b)

Dale...First of all...glad you see you here again. Second, it looks to me that you've done your pinch at the right location.

In the photos I posted above, those plants received lots of light (sometimes they were in direct sun for several hours in the late afternoon) and more than likely, when they were potted up, I watered them in with Miracle Grow. I'm not real good at remembering to feed my plants, but usually I give them something to keep them from croaking when I plant them in a permament spot.

I sure hope someone can give you more substantial information...as I could use it too.
:-)

~julie~

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

I'm glad to be here too Julie...thanks...it was a very frightening storm and we stil have 3 months. I was threatening to build a nice cozy cabin in Wisconsin after seeing a beautiful glof course in Kihler, Wisconsin...batten down the patches here and spent August, September and October up there! I've decided I planted my coleus too close together. And also I do much better with them in pots. We'll get the hang of this, Julie!

Muscoda, WI(Zone 4b)

Dale, Wisconsin *is* a beautiful place. I grew up in Oklahoma, spent ten years or so in Illinois and if given my choice now I'd still choose Wisconsin...I love that we have 4 definite seasons (I get bored easily! :-D)

You know, I thought about my previous experiences with coleus plants and until I got into the idea of using containers - because nothing can be "permanent" in my yard yet - I wasn't happy with my ground grown ones either. As a matter of fact, I doubt I'll even try growing them directly in beds again...I love the idea that, if I run into a problem with them, I can move them around to see what area sutes them best.

Yep! You're right *we* will get the hang of it. Thanks to these fantastic people here at DG. We've got a wealth of information, literally at our fingertips.

~julie~

Himrod, NY(Zone 6a)

Thanks to langbr I now know the name of this coleus that grows in the sun on my front porch steps. I am sure that the fact that it sits under the porch run off has been a great boost for it, I am not a good waterer!!

Thank you all for this site. I can't wait to find time to pick a leaf off my other coleus to see what all I may have. There is so much info here at DG I just love it.

Joy

Edited to say I think it is Rose Explosion........got excited and forget to name it!

This message was edited Aug 26, 2004 9:20 AM

Thumbnail by Joyous
Muscoda, WI(Zone 4b)

Joy...it's gorgeous!

~julie~

Himrod, NY(Zone 6a)

Thanks Julie............my daughter's name also. She loved to garden but moved to St. Thomas, VI and has become a beach bum....;-)

Himrod, NY(Zone 6a)

Here is a pot with 6 different varieties in it. I only know that the big dark one is Black dragon.

Thumbnail by Joyous
Himrod, NY(Zone 6a)

A photo of a small one that didn't show on the right hand side.

Thumbnail by Joyous
Himrod, NY(Zone 6a)

Closer still...........Thanks for looking and if anyone can identify I would greatly appreciate it.
Joy

Thumbnail by Joyous
Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Joy - That's not Rose Explosion. Rose Explosion is on the right in this picture (Texas Parking Lot on the left).

Thumbnail by langbr
Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

This one is Kingswood Torch

Thumbnail by langbr
Himrod, NY(Zone 6a)

Thanks langbr..they are all just too pretty. Must change my journal :-)

Muscoda, WI(Zone 4b)

Joy, I have a very similar one to the one you called Rose Explosion. It's name is, I believe, Defiance. I'll come back and post a picture a bit later after I have it prepped for size.

Edited to say...Ooops! It wasn't Defiance after all. Mine is "Alabama" and I forgot to find the photo. Duh!

~julie~
P.S. Brenda, I lost my Red Explosion that you sent...my fault entirely. But Freckles is doing great...and the Sloppy Painter that I was afraid I'd lose is making a comeback! Yeah!!!

This message was edited Aug 26, 2004 2:53 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.