Are birds doing this?

Sioux City, IA(Zone 4b)

Something is taking off the flowers on some of my plants. The flower is severed on the stem and there is no other damage. Happening to mums, marigolds, that type of flower. Seem to leave alone petunias, snapdragons. I have had very little evidence of slugs this spring so far, so my question is: do birds do this? Or do you have another idea?

Guilford, CT(Zone 7a)

Sounds like a bunny or deer! (especially with no other damage, and the fuzzy plants being left alone) Is this possible?
Although I have had squirrels and/or chipmunks lob off my flowers, too. Every year I lose some Daffodils to them.

Sioux City, IA(Zone 4b)

There's no deer here but I suppose a bunny could have gotten in there, the flowers are somewhat protected by a small fence but it certainly would not be impossible. I have some liquid fence and I'll give that a try. Thank you for the imput JRush.

Fargo, ND(Zone 3b)

A couple of years ago I planted lots of yellow marigolds in a several flowerbeds in my front yard. I came home from work one day and noticed that almost all the marigolds flowers in one of the beds had been plucked off and were laying on the ground. Initially, I blamed (only in my head) the little girl next door who is quite mischevious.

A couple of days later, I came home to find several black birds sitting in another of the flower beds just plucking away at the blooms!

I have come to the conclusion that as long as I continue to have bird feeders (which attract the undesirable black birds along with lots of other desireable birds) I will not be able to grow blooming marigold plants.

To answer your question...yes, birds do this.

Sioux City, IA(Zone 4b)

Thanks Pstruchy, I found it kind of odd that just the flowers were harmed and not the plant. I have used some liquid fence and it has helped keep away whatever it was. The marigolds are doing very well now, bursting with color and I'm not so concerned if a few get eaten.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.