Instructions to sow seeds

Lamar, AR(Zone 7a)

Question: How does one maintain such a small range temperature? 59-65F......

Sowing Instructions: Sow late winter to spring. Soak the seeds for 3 hours in warm water then sow 6mm (žin) deep in a good seed compost. Seal in a polythene bag and place in the dark until germination which usually takes 3-4 weeks at 15-18C (59-65F). Do not exceed 65F as high temperatures can prevent germination.

What plant are those instructions for? Sometimes if you look in different guides you'll get different instructions in each for the same plant. Most instructions try to imitate and often speed up the process that the seeds would have in their natural environment. It doesn't mean that none will germinate if you don't stick to the exact method.

Lamar, AR(Zone 7a)

I forget the type of plant. It was a shade perennial.

I can't fathom how I would keep germinating seeds at that low of temperature.

(Zone 4a)

I bought four thermometers and placed them in my
north windows. When I found the temp I needed,
I put the seed container there. It worked.

Corinne

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

I think that you're supossed to sow these at a certain time of the year where thats the temp outside.

The only way I can think of maintaining that temp for the seeds would be to place them directly on an air conditioning vent. I think they're colder than you actually set them for because the air needs to be pretty cold to mix with the warm air to achieve the room temp that you set it for. Does that make sense?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.