Ginko Biloba Seeds

Lamar, AR(Zone 7a)

I was given 6 seeds and don't know if they are viable or not. What's the best way for me to germinate these seeds.

Also, what kind of growth rate can I expect from a ginko seedling? (10 years for a height of 6 feet??)

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

People would tell you to float them in water and if they sink, they're viable but this theory isn't always true because lots of seed that didn't float will often germinate.

These seeds will need cold treatment and can either be fall sown in pots or sown in sanwhich bags filled with moistened seed compost and put in the frigerator for eight weeks.

I don't know how much growth they put on per year.

Cynthiana, KY(Zone 6a)

This is straight from www.treeshrubseeds.com

Seed count varies from 250-300 seeds per lb. pending crop year. Do not over dry seed. Seed that has been stored for up to 2 years cold and moist has been sown with satisfactory germination. For seed stored over 1 year float in water and toss floaters/keep the sinkers.Seed from storage tends to have little to no warm stratification requirements and a shorter cold stratification period. Mold problems can be controlled in a 5-7 minute 1:10 Bleach:Water dip with a thorough rinse after the dip. Warm soil temperatures may inhibit seed germination so sow pre-treated seed in the early Spring and not late when soils warm up if possible. Seedlings may benefit from partial shade the first year. One of the oldest tree species, the Ginkgo has existed for 150 million years and at one time was native to North America.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.