Sanchesia Nobilis

Saint Petersburg, FL(Zone 10a)

Does anyone know about this plant? I saw it here in town and just had to get a cutting. The mother plant is about 5' high and maybe half that wide, has very broad leaves that are yellow with green stripes. Grows like a croton but much faster. One day I noticed something was different about it and stoped the car and got out and it had orange hibiscus like flowers on it about 3" in diameter. What a beautiful plant, yellow and green with deep orange flowers. I used a rooting hormone on the cutting and now its growing like crazy. That was just a month ago. I took my "prize" up the the county extension and they ID it for me. Wondering if anyone has one or has worked with one. Will try to get a picture this weekend.

Thumbnail by fla2327

I don't know where that picture came from. Obviously, I muffed up!

Heres the picture i promised

Thumbnail by fla2327
Homestead, FL(Zone 10b)

I have Sanchezia nobilis also. It adds a nice tropical look to the landscape. You can see a few of mine in this photograph on the right side: http://davesgarden.com/fp.php?pid=564011
There are some really large specimens at Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden. Although they are mainly grown for their foilage, my plants flower quite often and I love the contrast between the flowers and the leaves.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.