Air Layering???

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8a)

I have a Fiveleaf Akebia that says that you propagate by air layering. What is this and has anyone tried it. Thanks.

Atascadero, CA(Zone 8a)

There's a really helpful thread on this topic and many other propagation techniques:

http://davesgarden.com/t/367693

Hope it helps :>))

I did some air layering this spring on a tulip magnolia tree. So far, so good. I haven't cut it off from the parent yet. I've got the instructions somewhere that Yardbird sent me to do it. I'll look for them and post the info. The only bad thing was, I used a brand new knife blade and the way I was holding the branch, I sliced the skin right off my finger. At first it didn't hurt bc the blade was so sharp, but boy I sure felt it later. Be careful!

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8a)

Thanks everyone for the great information.

Here's the link for airlayering. I'm sorry it took me so long.

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/extension/ornamentals/airlayer/airlayer.html

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8a)

Thanks Vic,
That really explains it well and the pics help alot.
Guess I better get started doing some wounding. Heheh.
Thanks again
Jan

You're welcome but the thanks go to Yardbird. She sent me the link. It really is a good one, huh?

Prattville, AL(Zone 8a)

Great info...I finally got the nerve to try my hand at this air layering..trying it on two Japanese Maples and a couple other things too...

Guess now it's 'wait-n-see'

thanks for sharing the info and the links..

Really made it seem easy..

Carol

La Plata, MD(Zone 7a)

I'm starting out with some cuttings from friends..trying to propagate myself into some actual plants. :)
I've been using stem cuttings, but am interested in this type...
What kinds of plants is air layering good for? I have purple velvet and some wandering jews....

Thanks!

Oklahoma City, OK(Zone 7a)

I believe air layering is used on woody stemmed plants only.

Wandering jews are a breeze. Snap off a piece. Just stick it in moist soil or water. It roots very easily.

Purple velvet is similar (the salvia). Use stem cuttings. Just stick it in moist soil. If you have the plant outdoors (it's not hardy for your area), you can drop some of the lower branches to the soil and cover them up (with more soil). You may need something to hold the branches to the soil. They will root that way also without any extra work from you. Check them in a few weeks.

This message was edited Jun 25, 2004 8:11 AM

La Plata, MD(Zone 7a)

thanks very much. Will try that once these guys root and take off!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.