Encounter with a Farndale butterfly

Middlesbrough, United Kingdom

On Sunday I went on my Moorsbus outing again. The bus network is now on the summer timetable, with a few alterations since last year. Some of the smaller, less popular journeys have been dropped. A few services have been extended - they want to increase revenue! Anyway, the service to Farndale - where the wonderful wild daffies are - has been extended. It will now continue to run every Sunday over the summer. Excellent!
We have been having a hot and sunny spell here. Perfect for a summer walk on the North York Moors. So I was really looking forward to my day in Farndale again.

The summer bus service there isn't as frequent, but there were 5 of us heading up the dale - instead of several thousand during the daffodil season. It was a little disorientating to see the dale minus its daffodils. The growth has all died back now. In place of the daffodils were the flowers of late spring and early summer. The bluebells were almost over but I found a few clumps still in summer. I photographed one clump and put my head down to sniff it. Heavenly! Along the verges and in the long grass were a profusion of flowers. Buttercups, daisies, hawthorn, stitchworts, red campion, bluebells, clovers and vetches.

As I walked along I noticed a butterfly feasting on the flowers. Perhaps I could photograph it, I thought. I bent down low in the grass and tried to focus on it. Oops! I'd startled it. The butterfly rose in agitation, and circled round me a couple of times beofre finally settling on the warm pinky-brown skin of my right forearm. I must look like an enormous flower to it!! Hey - that tickles! Good view of the butterfly though. Now, how on earth was I to photograph it with one limb occupied? Grrrrr!!!!! Happily the butterfly soon tired of my arm and wondered back to its flower. I managed to get a couple of photos.

Then I sat back in the grass and listened to the peace and quiet of the countryside.
Baa!!!! Baa!!!! Maa!!!! Maa!!!!!
Moo! Moo!!!! Moo!!!
Woof! Woof! (The neighbouring farm obviously has a dog)
Quack! Quack!!!! (There's a duck-pond nearby)
Screach!! Screach!! (That's the pheasant)
Moo!! Moo!!
Baa!!! Maa!! Maa!! Baa!!!
Woof! Woof!
Buzzzzz! Buzzzzzzz! (That's a bee circling round me now)
Vroom! Vroom! (There goes one of the farm vehicles)
Caw!!! Caw!!! (That's the local rookery)

Whoever said the country was quiet?!

I sauntered slowly onward and reached the Daffy Cafe in time for a light lunch. After lunch I returned back by the side of the River Dove. It's a very gentle walk. I returned to the start of the walk about mid-afternoon, in time to take to the bus on to Pickering where I pottered round the railway station. Steam engines!! None today though! I treated myself to an icecream cone and returned home after a very enjoyable day.

Weymouth, Dorset, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Thank you Northener, a very enjoyable walk. I loved the bit about the butterfly.
It also bought back memories of lying in the grass listening to the sounds in the distance, the warmth on my face, the droning of the bees as they gather their harvest. I love summer.
Steam trains also figure in my memory, we lived right next to a railway, and my brother was a train driver, he used to toot when he passed by ,to tell Mum that he was on his way home for food!!

An English summer. Nothing quite like it! No wonder our poets write about it so much. Great memories!

Castelnau RB Pyrenée, France(Zone 8a)

Thanks Northerner - and may we see the photos pretty please?

I don't have my CD-ROM with me today Philomel. I'd already posted some images on some of the other forums though. Take a gander!

http://davesgarden.com/t/436041/

And another link...

http://davesgarden.com/t/436037/

This message was edited Jun 16, 2004 6:48 AM

THe butterfly pictures didn't turn out very well Philomel. Can't remember if I even kept them. Not good enough for posting anyway.

This message was edited Jun 16, 2004 7:17 AM

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Well the field pictures are really nice. It's so green and pastoral. Butterflies are _hard_ to photograph , they just don't hold still much.

Frederick, MD

Nice photos Northerner. I could just roll in that grass, it looks pretty inviting. I visited England around Christmas but didn't get to see much countryside, we stayed in London. Had a fabulous time despite the cold and rain. I don't know exactly what I expected, but it was far more of a mixed bag of sights than I thought it would be. I think I expected more Dickens-like drear, but it was very interesting the way the modern and the old mix up. The architecture of London is truly beautiful and the people were very nice. We met some great folks at a pub that were very friendly and loved to talk politics. No gardening chat. But, I was interested to see how sub-tropical the gardens were. I knew the jet stream kept you warm, but not that warm!

Hello earthwormlover! Nice to see you here. It's not subtropical here at the moment - we're having a poor summer. :( I've shed my T-shirts that I put on in June and put my warm sweaters back on again. Brrr!!!!

I lived in London for a year when I was younger. Not sure I'd want to live there permanently - it's very noisy and crowded and I prefer being near the country. Lots to do though, and great for a holiday.

I'm glad you enjoyed my photos. :)

Yorkshire,

Hi Earthwormlover! (hope you don't mind me hyjacking your thread Northerner but I think you'll agree with me on this one.)
If ever you're over here in England again, rather than London, try staying in York. It's the most wonderful place and everyone I have recommended it to from both USA and other countries have been amazed by it. It has oodles of history, dating right back to the Vikings and beyond (there's even a Viking museum which is fascinating) and the Minster (huge cathederal) is absolutely beautiful. There are plenty of places to visit nearby and it isn't terribly far from the places Northerner shows in her photographs. If anyone is interested I'll try to find some of my photographs of York. You will love the place, all my American friends have so far.

Terri1948

Frederick, MD

I would love to visit York. The only reason we went to London is we have a friend with a temporary assignment there and we stayed in his house for free while he was away for the holiday. Worked out well. Please do send some photos. Would love to see York.

I like York too. Unfortunately the bus service from Middlesbrough to York has been dropped. There's still a train service though, but not direct. However it's still possible to go to York from Middlesbrough for a day out. Last time I went was 2 years ago - before I had my digital camera. So now photos, sorry.

I have to agree with Terri - it's a great place to go!!!

Frederick, MD

Our friend who lives in London keeps getting his assignment extended. But, he's about out of years. He will be disappointed. He just loves England.

Yorkshire,

When I recommended York to an American friend who was coming over here she and her husband spent a week in London and then came up to York with the intention of spending another week there. They found so much to see and do in this area that they stayed on for 2 weeks and will be coming back for more :) I think that most people who've never been to England think of it as mainly London, it's always a pleasure to show them other places over here. Yorkshire has so much variety and character.

Terri1948

Frederick, MD

Tell me about it, people who come to the States think we all live in New York or the whole state of California. Excuse me, this is a huge and diverse country and we all have something to offer ;O)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.