landscaping around a swimming pool

Columbus, OH(Zone 5a)

i live in ohio, zone 5 and have an inground swimming pool. i want to landscape around it but i have had a very difficult time finding plant material to go around a pool. i can't have anything whose roots will grow into the sides of the pool, plus i don't want trees or shrubs that will litter either. i have been to various garden centers to find out what i can plant, but they all contradict each other. i have tried container planting as well but i want something more permanent. i already have day lillies and ornamental grasses. i am trying for a tropical look. my back yard faces west,so there is no shade and it gets very hot. i only have about 8-10 feet of ground to work with. any help would be appreciated. thanks and God bless you

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Naomi Hi - how about sedums and other succulents, phlox, perennial verbena etc.

Columbus, OH(Zone 5a)

Thanks Louisa
do you have any recommedations on trees or shrubs i could use?

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

A flowering evergreen that comes to mind is Daphne, quite slow growing but the fragrance is wonderful. Since you don't want the debris from falling leaves how about slow growing conifers. I wish I had more time to go into this - give me a week or two if you are still stuck for answers :-)

Columbus, OH(Zone 5a)

Louisa thanks for your help
we planted arborvitaes. i hate them - ugly plants! but we needed the privacy and we had to go with evergreens and those are the only ones that fit in that area. still i have one more side of the pool to landscape around, so if you have anymore suggestions, i would love to hear them. one of the things i am pursuing is small canopy style trees- no more than 15 feet tall but whose base of the branches is round and wider than the top, a kinda thin dome shape, if you know what i mean. and i am looking for tropical plants or plants that have a tropical look about them
thanks again for your help!
God bless you

Durham, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

would hardy bananas work? - they've got huge tropical-looking leaves..

lil

even the hardiest banana (Basjoo) would require substantial protection in the winter in zone 5. Its worth a try though.

This message was edited Wednesday, Jun 27th 11:18 PM

Columbus, OH(Zone 5a)

jerseyguy and lilith - thanks for your help! i really appreciate it!
God bless you

Durham, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

use the horticultural fleece on your banana during the winter or plant in a large pot and bring indoors when it gets too cold.

lil

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.