Butterfly Bush sucess!!!

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

All starts are spoken for at this time. Full recipient list can be found in the Plant Trading Forum.

It appears I have been successful rooting a few cuttings.
Attached is a picture of the mommy bush. It's a very cool variagated Black Knight (dark purple flowers) bush. The dark purple flowers look stunning against the chartreuse of the leaf base color.
I will have 2 or 3 extras in about 2 more weeks. I should also have a few pink (4) available shortly too....as I took some clipings from my dear neighbors bush...with their permission of course.
I know I owe a couple people already, so please email me if your waiting for one of these Blk Knight starts.

RikerBear

This message was edited May 31, 2004 10:32 AM

Thumbnail by RikerBear
Prattville, AL(Zone 8a)

rikerbear, If you have an extra one..I have an empty spot for it...would love to have one

Thx, Carol

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

I found my list of promised BB's

Black Knight:

bluegrass425
tmbolin
moretz
dixiechick

Pink:
dixiechick

I have 2 Pink and 1 Blk Knight still available

This message was edited May 30, 2004 11:24 PM

Prattville, AL(Zone 8a)

rikerbear, Can I have the Black Knight????? please..... ;-)

THX, Carol

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Yes you can have one too :-)
You were suppose to be in both spots Dixiechick....sorry.

Prattville, AL(Zone 8a)

OHHHHH...TY! TY! TY! TY! (((((((((rikerbear)))))))))...doing the "Happy Plant Dance" now!..lol

send me your addy and I'll get postage out Tuesday morning

Huntington Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

Riker,

Could you please tell us how you rooted your cuttings? Sure would like to take some of my own bush.

Thanks, Donna

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

I tried all winter to get cuttings to root in the house. I managed to kill dozens.
Spring arrived and my bushes started putting on new growth. While pruning them for shape I just started putting some of the clippings directly in the ground. Shade/indirect sun, and moist soil. I used 6 to 8 inch cuttings....stripped off the lower leaves and burried them with at least two leaf joints under the soil.
Hope this helps.................

Huntington Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

Thanks so much Riker. Since Spring is when we are supposed to prune our bushes, I would think that would be a perfect time to take cuttings also. The brances are in the mode for growing.
I'm sure going to try to start some myself.

Donna

Danbury, NH(Zone 5b)

Hello,
I would love some also, If possible. I have an acre+ to plant!!
Thank you in advance,
Linda (bilyn)

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Sorry Linda (bilyn) but all starts are spoken for at this time.

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Just wanted everyone waiting for a BB baby not to give up on me.....I have been away from the garden for a few days dealing with a medical emergency of my partners.
Life is finally beginning to settle so I should be able to start shipping these BB's early next week.
Thank you for your patience and understanding.

RikerBear
Marc

Danbury, NH(Zone 5b)

Hello
Please let me know if and when they are available.
Thans in advance
Linda

Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

Hey Mark,
can that be done with my Rose of Sharon too ?
did You use rooting powder ? make cuts anywhere ?
This intriques me ,
Brigitte
How are your baby DL coming along ?

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

I am absolutely NO expert on propagating cuttings. I truly owe my success with the BB starts to things I learned here in the various DG forums.
I didn't use any rooting hormone....just sniped them at a leaf node, with one or two nodes above the cut end.
Trimmed off all but the top two or three leaves and buried them in soil right by the drip irrigation hose to help keep them nice and wet when I water.
As my perennials grew they gave the babies more and more shade so they didn;t dry out very quickly.
I really think I may have just gotten lucky.
It worked with both new growth cuttings and with more woody cuttings from an older bush of the neighbors.
The pink bush babies have all transplanted well into their own 3 inch pots with no signs of shock....so should be ready for travel next Monday the 21st.
I need to check on the Blk Knights again and see how their roots are coming along. Lst time I looked they were about 1/4 inch and I'd feel better about sending them at around an inch or more.

I have read some chatter about Rose of Sharon starts being for trade....maybe do a topic search and contact that DGer see how she or he did it.

The DL babies are holding there own. Most are about 8 to 10 inches. Thin weak looking leaves, but hey they're only 3 months old. I will be excited to see if they survive the winter and come back next spring.

RikerBear

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.