lavender plants

Shavertown, PA(Zone 5a)

Can anyone suggest the most fragrant, fast growing, lavender plants? I want to line sidewalks with this plant but don't know which variety to buy. I thought Hidcote would work but have not been able to find enough of it. I am most interested in the fragrance and overall height of 12-18" I live in NE PA, zone 5 Any suggestions?

Perrysburg, OH(Zone 5a)

Hi Kathi,
I'm also lining my sidewalk with lavendar. Last year I bought as many different lavendar plants I were available,
just to see how they would grow. I finally decided on growing "Provence" it's one of the most fragrant and it also has a more upright growth that Hidcote or Munstead. This year I planted four Provence, and they seem to a bit slow growing, but the plant a very dense which is another thing I like about them. As far as availability I'm lucky enough to have great nursery that specializes in herbs and lavendars, but I also found a website that you might enjoy it's Purple Haze Lavendar Farm, they also sell a nice selection of plants too.
I hope this helps,
Becky

Shavertown, PA(Zone 5a)

BJT72:
Thanks for your suggestions. I had ordered Hidcote lavender from Etera, but they wouldn't ship because of poor quality. So now I am on the hunt for a new variety. I'm going to try Purple Haze Lavender Farms. Have you tried the Sweet Lavender? I found that locally and it does say it is fast growing.

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Lavendula Stoechas is a lovely French lavender with pink flowers.

I am new at this and was wondering if lavender is hardie to below zero weather. Where could I get a few plants to try just for paying the postage. Thank You

Perrysburg, OH(Zone 5a)

Hi Gina,
Welcome to DG!!!
What zone are you in?? I'm in zone 5 and most lavendars are hardy in this area. The only ones that I have any trouble with are spanish and the pink one I can't remember the correct name but it's "Jean" something. I planted both of them last year and neither one of them came back, they must be a bit more tender than the "hidcote" and "munstead" which are very hardy.
Welcome again!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.