silver lace vines

Shavertown, PA(Zone 5a)

I am interested in finding out more about this vine. I live in NE PA , zone 5 and have two arbors which need coverings to provide shade. Does anyone know if silver lace vine would fit the bill? Are they fast growing, to what height, pests, mess, etc? Thanks

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Kathi take a look at the thread 'For DPmichael' - it contains info on the vine that you speak of :-)

Ridgeland, SC(Zone 8a)

Hi, I have a silver lace vine. Right now it is growing like crazy. Took a season to get started, but it gets stronger every year. It will grow 50-60ft.if you let it. Its flowers are small and white, but they are very profuse. Looks like it's covered with snow. Mine dies back in the winter, but never fear, it will come back strong. Mine is covering a little pump house. You can train it(I use that term loosely). Give it a try. You'll have fun watching it grow!!

Port Huron, MI(Zone 5b)

Hey mom54...do you think you will be saving some seed or taking any cuttings ;)
Sandy

Rethymno, Crete, Greece(Zone 10b)

mom54, please save me some seeds
In return, I can send you wildflower seeds from Crete.
Now is the time to ask!!
Dimitri

Ridgeland, SC(Zone 8a)

hi, dp&sdoglover, I will be happy to save some seeds. It will be a while though. I bought the plant, so I have not tried to start them from seed. Worth a try !! I got the plant from Bluestone Perrenials. They have a catalog. It's not fancy, but they have many, many plants at pretty reasonable prices. Next, I want to try Sweet Autumn Clematis, but have to read up on them first. They are supposed to be fragrant. I will keep my eyes out for the seeds. It will give me something to do when it cools down.Talk to you soon.

Mom54,

Yes, please. Do keep some seeds of fleece vine. Many thanks in advance.

Dimitri

Perrysburg, OH(Zone 5a)

Hi Kathi,
I'am also in zone 5, I grew silver lace vine 2yrs ago, I planted it on a little trellis on the side of my house. By fall it was on the roof, in the gutters, and climbing down the power lines!! Yes, I should of put some more thought into where Iwas going to plant, it is a wonderful vine for shade, but do careful about any power lines near by, because it will reach them!! I cut mine down to the ground last fall and it's making a slow come back, and I'm keeping a watchful eye on it the year. I have to admit when it was in full bloom it was one of the most beatiful vines I've ever saw!!!

Shavertown, PA(Zone 5a)

Thanks for all your replys to my silver vine posting. Does anyone know if this vine will do well in the sun. I have no shade to speak of, at least where I intended to put it. I was hopeing the vine would provide the necessary shade over an arbor. Thanks.

Perrysburg, OH(Zone 5a)

Yes Kathy, my silver lace vine is in full afternoon sun. It obviously does fine as you tell from my post!!!lol

Ridgeland, SC(Zone 8a)

KathiLO
Silver lace will bloom more profusely in the sun. When you plant it, move away fast!!It will cover you quickly. Of course, not as fast as our dreaded Kudzu.You can't stand next to that vine. It just waits for an unsuspecting human, animal or tree to grab onto. It's true!!! Mom

mom54, you trigger my curiosity!!
what is kudzu ?? (is it contageous?? - it sounds like "gezundheit" in another language !!) I am dying to try it on the shady fence

please???

Dimitri

Ridgeland, SC(Zone 8a)

Dimitri, Believe me, you don't want Kudzu. It was imported many years ago,for forage for domestic animals.(cows,goats,etc.), but it got out of hand. It has underground runners, that spread very quickly. It is an aggressive climber. They say it grows a foot a day in the growing season.Here in SC, they cannot eradicate it. If you ever saw how it covers trees, you would think they were ghostly spectres. NO, youdo NOT want Kudzu. I don't know of a botanical name. Maybe there is another South Carolinian who can help us out. I don't have aref. for it, either. Check out the web, I'm sure you'll find something on it. There are people out there who cook it, make wreaths out of the vines,etc.BAD STUFF!!
Mom

mom54,
I saw a lot about kudzu in the web. Indeed, it is not a plant to live with, it is a plant to fight against.
We 'll have to make do with the other million plants that we are left with!!

thanks
Dimitri

Greenbrier, AR(Zone 7a)

The mile a minute vine, some people call the silver lace vine. I have 2 vines planted growing up pine trees, very little water, has slowed the vine down, a very tough plant to survie, bloom, grow under the condition it lives in.
My neighbor has better growing condition than I . Her silver lace is growing on a wire fence, wonderful, beautiful, fragrant, very vigorus grower. Hers does produce a lot of seedlings, and off shoots from the roots. She has a graveled parking area on one side of the fence and a mowed area on the other so she has her's under control. I understand where someone could have a problem, with certain growing conditions.
A quote aboute Kudzu " The Vine That Ate the South "
Kudzu was imported from China I believe, where the climate kept it in control. It was imported for feed, and erosion control. The WPA, planted acres of the stuff, during USA depression Era of the 1930. It did help with erosion control. Now 70 years later, it's like a plague in some areas. A good plant in the wrong place.
Lindag

Ridgeland, SC(Zone 8a)

Lindag, maybe your neighbor would be able to help dpmichael and Sdoglover out. I have taken cuttings to start, but don't looke like they want to do anything. There are no seeds that I can find and my silver lace vine is only about a year old, so there are no seedlings or offshoots yet. I'll keep trying to root some cuttings. If you can help them, let us know. I don't like to dissapoint my fellow gardeners. Thanks, Mom

Ridgeland, SC(Zone 8a)

Hi gang, got some information on propogating the vine. I'm trying it out as we speak. Hope it works. All you have to do is layer a piece of the vine in moist soil & when it roots, seperate it from th main stem. I think it will work. Wish me luck!! Mom

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.