Help on Damping off/Fungus please!

Guilford, CT(Zone 7a)

I have nearly lost several pots of seedling babies... in just one day! I read through past posts, and will try the chamomile tea spray & the cinnamon, but I would like to know if it will stop the fungus already in progress.... Can any of the damaged seedlings be salvaged at this stage? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Julie

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Julie... I don't have an answer but I'm wondering what effect the 10% hydrogen peroxide soultion might have? It gives extra oxygen to the root systems. (Put hydrogen peroxide in our search box to find the threads.)

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

I have had the best luck with the peroxide/water mix. Remember to also let soil dry out between waterings and water from the bottom when you can. Sprinkling cinnamon on top of the soil now definately will not hurt. I had to do that a couple of years ago when I got a bad bag of soil.

Guilford, CT(Zone 7a)

We have had a couple days of murky skies, then more rain. The last 2 days of rain did the seedlings in with the fungus. Now I have them covered, as it is again raining! I will try the peroxide too. So much rainfall has kept it too wet for the seedlings. I have too many to bring indoors. Somehow I thought Mother Nature would take care of them. She obviously did not watch the weather channel...

CREZIERES, France(Zone 8a)

Good luck with the remedies, but there is 100% way of preventing damping off for the future... This is fill the pot with compost in the normal way, knock the compost down and then put on ~ ½" of vermiculite.

Then sow the seeds in this in the normal way.

Guilford, CT(Zone 7a)

I now have to replace my Zinnias, so I will use your method this time. Something does not want me to have Zinnias. Every year I lose them due to some reason or another! I end up with 2 or 3 plants. Sigh.

CREZIERES, France(Zone 8a)

Zinnias are best grown in situ - no matter how gently you transplant them, they almost invariably go into shock and stop growing for a month or so...

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

I have read in several books if you bottom water with Chamomile Tea, it helps prevent that from happening.

Guilford, CT(Zone 7a)

Thanks for the advice... I hope to prevent this from happening again!

Iowa City, IA(Zone 5a)

I too had a lot of dampening off disease this spring with seedlings - I have since found a product called "No Damp off Organic Seed Starter" I found it at http://www.charleysgreenhouse.com/catalog/index.cfm?page=_ProductDetails&ProductId=7216
It seems to work - no more problems yet - and it says on the bag that if you find seedlings with this problem you can sprinkle some of this on them to get rid of it
Hope this helps you!

Guilford, CT(Zone 7a)

A good find - I lost most of the seedlings, & the ones I planted got terrorized by the chipminks. I thought it was the squirrels doing the deed, but I caught the chipmunk in the act of tossing my new seedlings out of my garden. He didn't even run away when I came toward him. What gall!

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

I used the cinnamon and it killed my seedlings. I'm just wondering if the sites that suggest this ever really tried it.

Guilford, CT(Zone 7a)

I did try the cinnamon, but I was too late to save my sprouts. I used it as a preventative on the rest of my plants, and they seem ok. Others swear by it.

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

I've always worried about the cinnamon, because I was afraid it would "burn" the seedlings. It's hot on the tongue, ya know.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.