new strawberry bed

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

I was sick and tired of weeding the strawberries, bermuda was taking over, and we lost all last years crop to bermuda taking over them. No bermuda will grow in these babies, planted them just 2 months ago, all down both sides and down the middle, their putting out runners like crazy. we got them from a friend down the road, their sharecrop strawberries. The foil, is suppose to be a scare tactic for the birds who live in the tree there. IT didn't work, they ate just about every berry that was produced, which btw was quite a bit for just being planted a few months ago. (2 or 3 ) can't remember how long exactly.

kathy

Thumbnail by kathy_ann
Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

kathy_ann, I have mine in two raised bed almost identical to yours. Guess I should say I *had* mine in those beds - Saturday I spent four hours digging them AND the Bermudagrass out. I had a terrible time with gray mold the past two years, so I decided to grub them out and start fresh. Every bit of the old plants (and weeds) are gone; the soil was thoroughly wetted and then covered with clear plastic, and will remain covered until early September (I slid a finger under the plastic a little bit ago - OUCH is it ever hot under there!)

When I remove the plastic, I'll add several inches of well-rotted horse manure, and hopefully I'll have killed the spores that caused the gray mold, and the new plants will be up higher so air can circulate around them better.

In the meantime, I'm trying to figure out if I can (and whether I should) try to buy strawberry plants this fall, or wait until early spring to place an order. (Looking for Suwannee, Tennessee Beauty, or Earliglow...)

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Never heard of those kind, I have sharecrop, never had a bit of trouble with mold, we have plastic down under the bottom of our bed. and dirt from the woods mixed with horse manure. They are spreading now like crazy, sending runners over the sides and rooting in the grass now. LOL when I get back from vacation, i'll have to see how well rooted the runners are so Ican trade them off. I don't want strawberries running all over the place,

kathy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.