Am I allowed to post a datura here? ;)

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

I don't know where else to...I assume "and friends" might mean relatives of brugs? Or does that mean all of YOU?

All I want to know is, is this little seedling a datura? The seed was a couple years old and this is the only thing that appears to have germinated in the pack. Crossing my fingers!

If it IS, what next?

Thumbnail by gardenwife
Medford, NJ(Zone 6b)

NO

ONLY KIDDING..... LOL
Yep, looks like a datura to me.... Can't wait to see the color bloom. Do you need some brug seeds?

This message was edited May 28, 2004 7:54 PM

New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

Yes you can post here for Brugs and Daturas so wonder you got the seeds from me right?
It look to me Datura.

Tulsa, OK(Zone 7a)

nice but when i put seedling i had in ground it croaked why is everything dying on me?? my dog did today even after going into debt took him to vet.. / well seedling i have to more dats scared to put in ground or same happen to them as brug. ones.. blessings all.. twyla

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Datdog, you are MEAN!

Yay, so I might get to enjoy a datura! We have such a short season compared to some, I'm wondering if a brug cutting might be better at this point. I'm ready to try. ;) How long will it take one to root? What are the easiest ones to start out with? I love pink flowers if any are in that category. For SASE?

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

Gosh Twyla, I'm sorry to hear about your dog.

Maybe your dats were too small to fend for themselves? Let your others get a little bigger before planting them in the ground.

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Oh, Twyla! :( We posted about the same time and I didn't see your post - I was writing mine. I'm sorry about your dog. I love mine, and hurt for you.

GOD's Green Earth, United States(Zone 8b)

Twyla: I am so sorry -- bless your hear, this just hasn't been your year, has it? you are in my prayers, sweetie!

GW: I have had wonderful luck with Frosty Pink -- think its one of the easier ones to grow and bloom... Gretchen

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Twyla, I'm so sorry to hear about your pet. I've been there and it isn't easy losing them. Hang in there. I'm sure you will be fine putting your dats in the ground. Sometimes things just don't go our way, but you are due for some good things to happen to you.

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Okay, so who's the lucky brugster who wants to send me frosty pink for postage? :) Who wants the dubious honor of getting Gardenwife initiated into, and addicted to, brugs?

Medford, NJ(Zone 6b)

I try hard Gardenwife. LOL.... I can send you some cuttings if you'd like. They will bloom this year. I might even have some rooted ones laying around somewhere.

I'm so sorry about your dog. Hope... ((hugs))

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Do you have my addy, datdog? I'm on the exchange. LMK postage cost. :) Whee!

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Hi Gardenwife!!! And WELCOME to Brugs and Friends! LOL!

Friends means YOU!! LOL

So you have been seduced and brought to the dark side of Dave's...............LOL

Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

Hope, I'm so sorry about your dog. I pray that things will soon get better for you.

Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

Oh there she goes.... into the deep brug abyss. You will love it Kim!!

Twyla.... I am SO sorry, you are in my thoughts and prayers.

Barnesville, GA(Zone 8a)

Uh oh, GW, please don't hate me!
You have mail!

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Will my datura and brugs do better in the ground, or should I put them in pots? If pots, what size? Do they like their soil any particular way? Would Miracle Gro be good for them, enough for them (I have that already). I hope not to kill any of them, LOL.

Harrisville, MI(Zone 5b)

This is one Rootdoctor free pass!!!
GW can post any pic,be it a Dat or Brug,she can use it at any time!!!!
I think it is a Dat above,and you are talking to the wrong group here,we are all hopeless already,do you dare delve into our world?
To late,I know your Addy!

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

You won't kill them! Are you going to hold them over in the Winter? The brugs that is. In the ground they will grow bigger. You can use Monika's method of planting them in a pot in the ground which makes it easier to pull them out for the winter.

I used MG all last year. A lower phosphorus number is ideal, but mine did fine on MG.

San Jose, CA(Zone 9a)

I just purchased a liquid MG at HD, with the numbers 12-4-8. I was surprised to see one from them with a lower middle no.! I thought I'd give it a try!

Shangshui, Henan, China(Zone 7b)

Im my near-sighted view,the seedling looks like
either a datura or an eggplant.
let time tell...

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

LOL, I hope it is a datura, because we don't have room to grow eggplant. Sure would be tasty, though. I think I got the seeds from Windsurffer; wonder if she grew eggplants as well as all her datura and gourds that year.

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Kim, I think you are safe in believing it is a datura. I grow eggplant and the seeds aren't that big. Hope you will post blooming pictures later on.

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

You BET. I can't wait to have blooms! :)

Ewing, KY(Zone 6a)

Kimberley I have a Firstday and Rosamond rooted cutting I can send you. Both taken above the Y so hopely they will bloom for you. They are both pink. Let me know if you still need them.

The foliage and the seeds between an eggplant and a datura do look somewhat alike.In fall,in the wild of my area,daturas can be seen blooming their milky blooms.It is a headlight among the wild plants .
Gardenwife,Use your nose,and you will identify the seedling.

Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

gosh.. I thought eggplant seeds were like a pin head. LOL goes to show what I know.

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Shelly, I grow the long skinny eggplant. Any seeds I've seen from the big black ones have been smaller than the datura seeds from my pods, but I can only talk about what I've experienced.

Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

Me too, I tried apple eggplant (I think is the name) more for the "coolness" of it, rather than for eating it.

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

The flea beetles are eating my plants right now. I can't get to them to spray because I'd sink in to my knees if I stepped in the garden right now. Oh well, I've lived without them before and I can do it again this year. LOL!

Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

How RUDE of those dang bugs!! lol well, at least they are a decent price at the store. ;o)

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Peggy - thanks, I will let you know. I've received a couple e-mails in addition to what's been posted here. I can only budget a little postage right now, so I'd better stick to what's been offered thus far. :)

You all are the greatest!

Franklin, LA(Zone 9b)

looks just like mine, GW :)
cept mine has been having bug troubles..(see the little webby things?)
and it's been quite annoying
keeps throwing up buds, then either dropping them, or they start to open.. then fall off
lol
it's currently got a bud, (and a seed pod! how the heck did it make a seed pod without blooming?!?) but i think i'm going to start pinching off all new buds until it gets bigger and more healthy
-Kim

Thumbnail by miss_kitty

Right now, one of the convienent and effective ways
to identify the seedling is by smelling the foliage.
A datura will always give out an evil smell.

(Zone 5a)

GW you can grow them in pots if you like and they will be fine, I always grow mine in containers. I have a few I planted in the ground and boy do they get huge.
Since my garden is smaller than yours I tend to use a lot of containers. Daturas will grow in any type of soil and I feed mine Miracle Gro.
I didn't grow egg plants that year but am growing them this year (my first time) so I hope that they turn out as well as the daturas did.
Good luck and I will be looking for photos of your lovely blooms.

Twyla I am so sorry to hear about your loss, I know how you feel.
If you plant your daturas in well drained soil in full sun they should be fine, are you planting any this year?

This message was edited May 31, 2004 9:01 AM

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

I was thinking of putting them in containers along the right side of the driveway; don't know if they have enough sun there or not, so I'll have to check one day and see how many hours it gets there. Right now we're trying to kill the ivy along that stretch, so I thought containers would be good since I can drag them away if we're going to spray there.

Arlene gave me the idea when she said she likes having them in raised beds so she can see up into the blooms better; I think it would be perfect for them along the driveway's edge, provided there's enough sun. What's the minimum hours they'd need?

Thumbnail by gardenwife
Kingston, OK(Zone 7a)

I got two Datura's from my first round-up year before last here at Lake Texoma. Have had no luck at getting them to grow. Keep them potted in sun room until sticking them outside in the sun. Said you make it or die. Need some help on Datura's versas Brugs. My Brug's are doing fine.

Thumbnail by TARogers5
(Zone 5a)

GW mine gets full sun all day long, I have very little shade. I think they would look beautiful there, even if you don't get sun all day, just be sure to give them enough water and food.

TAR they do need a lot of water, I also feed them every two weeks. I always use a good potting soil for the ones I put in containers. I mix a lot of compost in before planting them in the ground.
I hope you have beautiful plants this year.

Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

How is this little munchkin doing?

Marysville, WA(Zone 7a)

Funny you should mention eggplants and brugs together.My eggplantXbrugmansia just came into fruit.

Thumbnail by balvenie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.