Yellow Morning Glory, but need a name!

Augusta, WV(Zone 5b)

This is a plant I received from a friend through a trade, but didn't have a name, just a yellow type of morning glory. It's is a pale yellow with a darker shade of yellow star eminating outward from the center. I love it, never had a yellow before now, but I would like to have its ID if anyone out there can help I'd appreciate it. Thank you.

Thumbnail by mountainmeadowseeds
Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

The only yellow morning glory I have ever seen is the merremia aurea not an ipomea. This is really pretty.

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Beautiful. Be sure to save all the seeds you can if it makes any. It is gorgeous.

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

ipomoea ochracea and obscura

>Ochracea: small dark yellow flowers, slow to bloom but then pretty
> continusous with both flower and seed.
>
> Obscura: a small manilla/bone yellow colored flowers, blooms in one
> flush, sets seed and stops blooming.

Dundee, OH(Zone 5b)

Hi Christy, what you have is the Ip. obscura, I have seeds for both. The Ip. ochracea is a deep lemon yellow with no difference in the color of the star pattern, it all blends together on the ochracea, whereas yours there is the light yellow with darker star and the dark almost purple center. You have a beauty!!! Good job ;)
Mine aren't big enough for blooms yet!!
Talk soon
Laurrie Basiletti

Augusta, WV(Zone 5b)

Thanks Laurrie and the rest for responding! Especially you Laurrie, been a while since I've posted anything on DG, but have so many new starts that I am overwhelmed with them! Gotta ID them so we know what they are. Anyway thank you for the responses. Also Laurrie how's the seeds growing for you? We love everything you sent us, absolutely gorgeous. Thanks again! Happy Memorial Day all.....

Dundee, OH(Zone 5b)

Welp :) so far so good, everything you sent are looking wonderful, when I get photo's I will share with you for sure. I am delighted to see you actually have blooms already, now tell me, are you growing in the greenhouse or is this outside, how are your temps treating you there? Have yourself a wonderful"ly" long weekend and Happy Memorial day to you all as well
Laurrie

Augusta, WV(Zone 5b)

Been growing in a greenhouse, but have been slowly moving outdoors to harden off, getting a bit cramped in there :-) The morning glory has been outside for about 2 weeks in a 2-gal container with bamboo stakes for support, usually how we grow them. Also the weather has been "nice and hot" but thunderstorms daily, pretty much the same elsewhere I think. Gotta go put seed orders together, buys...busy, but loving it ;-) See-yas!

Needville, TX(Zone 9a)

Beautiful MM!!!! I have the yellow planted also but hasn't done anything for me yet. Yours is just lovely!

Dundee, OH(Zone 5b)

Great job! Are the 2 gal pots large enough for the entire growth season? I have mine in 5 gal. pots now and hope it is big enough LOL And yes, we have been pretty hot, but thunderstorm threats alot too, but I like when we get those cuz I don't have to water, Glad to see you have orders to put together, that is great ;)

Moonlighting: five yours time, mine were slower than some of the others.
Laurrie

Citrus Heights, CA(Zone 9b)

I am planning a Tower of Flying Saucers. I had 15 plants pop up from the seeds. I am putting them in a 15 gal pot. Is that too many to put in?The tower is 15 in across 6ft high. I am going to train them to bunch outward. It has a center stake and 3 sets of supports, with chicken wire in the pot making a tube effect. I should end up with a 8ft high by 3ft wide tower of the little beauties.How many in ?

OC, CA & Twin Lakes , IA(Zone 4b)

montery,
would love to see pics when they start blooming.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.