Tomato seedlings

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

Hi all....I just had some tomato seeds sprout (had vowed to plant them for this year and forgot til recently!) Would I be better off to plant them in a container this late? I received the seeds in a trade, she called them 'Yellow Cocktail Pear'...and I live in Zone 4. Any opinions appreciated!

Allen Park, MI(Zone 6a)

Nan:
Why don't you try a few both ways; if you get any early frost in the fall you can move the containers into the garage over night. I think most tomatoes mature in 60-80 days.

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

I think the tomato that you have should do fine either way.
They are a small cherry type with a distinctive pear shape.
One of the oldest heirloom tomatoes recorded.give them a cage or stake as they will get pretty 'viney' and they will produce till frost. If you put one in a container,you can bring it in like paulgrow suggested.I even cover mine in the garden with blankets...here in zone 7 that means tomatoes still on the vine at Thanksgiving!

Olive Branch, MS(Zone 7b)

Be sure you have enough support for this tomato if you decide to container grow it. Mine grew 10+ feet last year. I had it trellised up with the cucumbers and it made a nice salad with them. It outproduced my ability to keep up with it, so consequently, this year I have a few seedlings here and there in the garden from it. It's a monster tomato vine!

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

sunflower's right...be prepared for gazillions of little tasty 'maters!

I'm figuring that your zone 4 will keep the kudzu like vine from covering you up.But here in the South...It's an Energizer Bunny...it keep going and going...

You should have a more manageable plant as your days and nights are much cooler than this steam bath!We couldn't hardly breathe outside today for the steam.

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

Thanks guys!! I think I will try it both ways then...so far I've only 4 seedlings...so will try 2&2....kudzu like, eh?? It shouldn't get too 'rampant' here....although July and August get pretty 'steamy' around here, too....Thanks for your great info though...hopefully I'll have plenty to share then!

Madison, WI(Zone 4a)

Hi Nan, I too live in Zone 4 and it is NEVER too late! We have to stretch our season for as long as possible even if it is in our own minds! But have you noticed that our season seems to be elongating itself anyways,(global warming perhaps?)I usually have tomatoes well into September, and some make it until October. They just seem to know when it is time to poop out. Mine rarely make it to the first frost, but by then, I am swimming in tomatoes, and have canned already. July and August are amazing months for tomatoes here. Any late starters catch up in a hurry. We really don't have snow all year, it gets very, very hot in the summer. I agree with paulgrow, try different methods. I grow about 80 plants in pots, and about 40 in the ground. Both methods work great! And like the rest stated, be prepared to stake! Good luck!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.