Mexican Flame vine

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Clare,this is the one you sent me all growed up now,but all the news leaves are curled and distorted,I don't see any bugs,have any other ideas what could be causing this?

Thumbnail by Tropicman
Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Do you by any chance have boxelder bugs there? They are having a field day with my plants, especially the brug seedlings.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Hadn't seen any bugs at all,just a few lady bugs every once in a while.

Ventura, United States(Zone 10b)

Hi Don! Well, ladybugs are the good bugs and feed on aphids. Have you checked beneath the leaves for small black dots? Try giving it a good hard spray with the hose. Mine is starting to bloom now. I'll get a picture of it tomorrow. By the way, I sent you an email earlier. Your package is on its way.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Thanks Clare will keep an eye on the mail man,
yes sprayed water on them still don't see any bugs,both the pandorea vine and flame vine are now over 6ft tall,waiting for the blooms to come.

Hi Don,
I didn't have much time in the garden or on the computer today, but I managed to get a pic of the Pandorea vine. Both of your vines should be blooming soon.

Is your Mexican Flame Vine in a container? Maybe it is rootbound? Hmmm...I'm sure it will be all right. I think it is a pretty tough vine.

Don, the two P. Mollissima vines are growing together in the same small container. They can be potted up to a larger container right away. The others were just recently transplanted, and there was a little root loss because the roots were pretty fragile and brittle coming out of the Oasis cube. Those other ones can stay in their separate containers until they grow more roots and become rootbound, which shouldn't take long. I hope they do all right enroute to you and don't get stuck in some hot truck somewhere. Please let me know what they look like when they arrive.

Thumbnail by Clare_CA
Fort Pierce, FL(Zone 10a)

My Mexican Flame vine did the same thing after I planted it by the fence. All the new growth leaves were curled up tight and ugly. When I unrolled a leaf, it had lots of tiny white things rolled up in it. I don't know what they were, but I sprayed it every day with SEVIN ready-to-use bug killer. When the new growth came out it was O.K. so I must have killed off whatever it was. I wouldn't spray after it bloomed because it might kill the bees and butterflies.

Waterville, KS

I just had to drop a note and tell you all how gorgeous those plants are !!! Wow !!!

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Hi PattiS,I'll take a look next time I get outside and see if I can
see any tiny white bugs.
Hi Clare,yes in deedy the plants came,and I see you got warmlands also to root,thank you sweet heart,they all look great too!Why did you remove them from the cubes,I thought you could leave them on there.and they would wither away,as in decompose.
Your pandora vine is blooming great,no signs as of yet of any blooms on mine.

Thumbnail by Tropicman
Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

By the way guess whats getting ready to bloom again,I can't believe how many times this year.

Thumbnail by Tropicman

Don, that was my mistake, putting the Warmlands tag on it. I thought the tag read "Ruby Glow." I sent you two P. Alata "Ruby Glows," two P. Mollissima, and one P. "Lady Margaret." Sorry about the confusion there. When my P. Warmlands puts on some growth, I'll try to root that one for you.

I didn't remove them from the cubes, but I removed them from the slightly larger (and heavier) container that they were growing in. Here is a picture below of how they were before I repotted them. The cubes are still in the containers and full of roots.

The two Mollissimas were rooted in water and can go into a new larger container, but the others can stay in their current containers for a little while longer.

You may want to mist them with Superthrive if you have it to help alleviate any shock that they might experience, but they look good!

Your night-blooming Cereus? That is amazing!

Thanks, AprilHillside!

Thumbnail by Clare_CA
Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Thanks Clare,
Yes I have them in sand humidity trays,there growing great,I think I will give them weak dose of fertilizer tomorrow.Did you have them outside at?Any sunlight as of yet?

Hi Don! Yes, they were all growing outside in filtered sun and were doing great. I'm glad that they are doing well after the transplant/transport ordeal:-) I wasn't going to transplant them at all at first, but when I went to moisten the soil for the trip, the larger containers were heavy, and I was worried about shipping costs so I transplanted them to a lighter soil mix (Miracle Grow Moisture Control) and a smaller container for each (except the P. Mollissima, which was already in a small container). I would not fertilize them because the new Miracle Grow mixture already has fertilizer in it, but you know best.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Thanks Clare,were expecting strong winds and rain today,but tomorrow they go out in light shade,you packed them just right for they came out of the box,just like you had just put them in there.
I think I see some small flower buds on the mexican flame vine,fingers crossed...

Great, Don. I'm glad to hear that the vines didn't move around while in route. I threw in a succulent too that I hope you found and can use. I will be thrilled if you get some nice vines out of those.

Wait until you smell the flowers of the P. Alata "Ruby Glow." This vine gets big so I would get a teepee type support and wrap it around and around as much as you can. It will send new shoots off the main shoot, and it will flower in the fall. The stems are thicker than most Passifloras.

The P. Mollissima likes cooler temperatures to flower. My P. Mollissima hasn't flowered well for me yet, but I grew it from seed, so it is still young yet. The P. Alata blooms in September for me and probably will for you as well. Lady Margaret should bloom fairly quickley.

Here is the Mexican Flame Vine picture that I promised you. Mine is putting on lots of growth and a few flowers. Butterflies are supposed to love this one.

Thumbnail by Clare_CA

The Pandorea jasminoides that I grew from seed are blooming their little heads off. Yours will too soon.

Thumbnail by Clare_CA
Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Yes Clare the desert rose,or black rose as they call it here was just great also,I planted it in with the african milk tree,both needing the same growing requirements.
It amazes me how you get so nice big clusters of blooms on your vines,as with the pandorea vine,
I'll be sure to give the ruby glow a nice big pot and structure to climb on.
The winds are fierce here today,everything in pots keep blowing over,better start putting bricks in the bottoms for now on!

Thanks, Don. You'll get the same big clusters as soon as it warms up a bit there. Darn that wind. We get some strong ones here too, but not like you have. I tend to brace my containers against each other so they have no where to go. Have I given you a Thunbergia greggii, Orange Clock Vine? If not, I will have to root that one for you. It roots easily when layered.

Thumbnail by Clare_CA
Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Oh how pretty and the right color!LOL!
Does that one grow big or stay containable,love those oranges,very tropical looking,catches the eye first.

LOL, yes, orange is a great color, especially with yellow. I have to keep it away from my pinks and reds though! I does get big, and it likes to sprawl, but it also likes being rootbound in a container. I have been growing mine in a five-gallon container for the past two years, and it is very happy. I will work on that one for you.

This crossvine would be a good one for you as well:

Thumbnail by Clare_CA
Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Thanks

Citrus Heights, CA(Zone 9b)

I love my clock vine it's in a container, but I almost croaked it with too much sun. Now it's made in the shade.I love the color so much.Clare where can I get a mexican flame vine?

Thumbnail by RichSwanner

Monterey,

Logee's and Top Tropicals both sell it. Additionally, Logee's has Senecio Confusus ‘SAO PAULO.’

TopTropicals: http://toptropicals.com/html/toptropicals/articles/vines/senecio_confusus.htm

Logee's: http://www.logees.com/store/

If you can get ahold of a rooted cutting in a trade, that will save you some money.

As always thank you!

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Clare are these the flower buds on the flame vine?

Thumbnail by Tropicman
Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Here's the pandorea vine,it has left the 6ft bamboo stakes and finally jump on the arbor,no signs of buds yet,whiched blooms first for you ,flame or pandorea.

Thumbnail by Tropicman

This is THE TOWER OF MORNING GLORIES It is 8ft tall and will support 3ft horizonal grow how many Flying Saucers do I put in a 15 gal pot to fill it?You two are the king and queen of big. Please heeeeeeeeeeelp!

Thumbnail by RichSwanner
Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Monterey,wow what a great idea,have to make one of those for myself!!!
I'd only put 3 plants in there if mine,we know how much those
MG's can grow!!!

Don, Yes those are buds! The Mexican Flame vine flowers the quickest. The Pandorea puts on a lot of growth first, and then the main stem becomes thick, and then it flowers on the terminal ends. After that, you can cut it back, and it will branch out more and completely cover that arbor in no time. I grew the Pandorea vine from seed.

Rich, I'm not sure, but if they are annuals, I would put as many as will fit -- like one every couple of inches. A fifteen-gallon container is pretty large so I think you can accommodate quite a few.

This message was edited Jun 12, 2004 12:01 PM

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Getting closer!!

Thumbnail by Tropicman

Don, I just repotted mine. Did you get flowers yet?

Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

What a great idea for the tower trellis! What is the wire you are using? It looks like chicken wire but I can't really tell. Is it flexible to work with? Also, is the center post round or square? Thanks for showing.
Terrie

Chicken wire. It was a real pain I had to make the inner framework to hold it. A better choice would be a cement rebar-type netting. It's made to lay in cement for strength. You can find it in the cement aisle at H.Depot or Lowes. It comes in 4,5 and 6ft high rolls. The center of the tower has a 2by2 with crossbars on the bottom of the pot and at the top. Every 2ft there is another one. The wire is screwed on each end of the crossbars , starting at the top of the pot on up. Close-up of the top of the pot.

This message was edited Jun 11, 2004 2:59 PM

Thumbnail by RichSwanner
Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Hi Clare ,they are just starting to unfold,none open all the way yet,are they always slow to open like that,its been almost a week now,that they have been in suspended motion!

Hi Don, I don't know because I've only had this vine a short time and haven't really been able to observe it. Hopefully, you will see more and more now that the weather is warming.

Gulfport, MS(Zone 8a)

Monterey, I have a piece of mexican flame vine thats rooted. it broke off and rooted itself. If youre interested, email me
jen

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

I bought a start of this mexican flame vine from Select Seeds this spring and I keep it my greenhouse until the weather turns much warmer here before I take it outside. It has had some bloom, a couple to be exact but it is such a prolific grower. Also got a blue clock vine, thunbergia battescombi, from SS and it is just starting to bloom.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Here's the very top of the vine about 6ft tall,bottom still rather slow in opening its flowers.

Thumbnail by Tropicman

Very nice, Don! I like how the orange flowers slowly turn red:-)

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Thanks Clare,here's a better picture.

Thumbnail by Tropicman

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.