Japanese MG ID help

Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

I know its not the best picture, but the color is a VERY soft pink, with off white, almost grey color, and "sparkles" I know its a JP MG, but Id like to know the name. Any ideas?

Well darn, I cant upload the pic. I will as soon as Dave gets it fixed. It has the "typical" MG star in white.

Jones Creek, TX(Zone 9a)

I had problems earlier up loading photos. I will add this to my watch list so as soon as you get a photo I can see it....maybe tomorrow...I am anxious to see what it looks like it sounds beautifullllllll........ :o_
Dee

Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

Oh good! Its working for me! I wonder if its not white flowered yugao? But I sware it has a pinkish grey tint to it..lol

This message was edited May 23, 2004 10:33 PM

Thumbnail by Shelly221
OC, CA & Twin Lakes , IA(Zone 4b)

Is the foliage on this one variegated?

Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

No its not... Im just so confused.. LOL I KNOW its a Japanese one tho.. they got "special" pots.

Jones Creek, TX(Zone 9a)

Shelly where did you get these from? Moonlighting traded a few seeds of something simular to these and she got them on e-bay ...
:o)
Dee

Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

I got them from Sandra. I know she is in Ireland, or on her way back there... so maybe I will just wait to see what she says.

Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

I was thinking.. lol (have mercy) if I remember right, there were maybe 4 seeds in the pack, and she said they got wet, and might not germinate.

The bloom stayed wide open all yesterday and today, and I have one pod already on it, and its a bit larger than the other pods on any others that I have seen so far.

Needville, TX(Zone 9a)

Your MG is "Shirayuki"....

Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

I think its too small for Shirayuki, and it does have the pinkish tint to it.
Im positive now its Akatsuki no Haru thank you!

Needville, TX(Zone 9a)

LOL - okay, all I saw was white and missed the pink part....

Giant Shirayuki

Thumbnail by TwinLakesChef

Haru

Thumbnail by TwinLakesChef
Needville, TX(Zone 9a)

Yep TLC - I now see the difference....I was going by this picture http://davesgarden.com/fp.php?pid=491746

Albany (again), NY(Zone 5b)

Hi Shelly - finally settled down and will also reply to your mail. Are the blooms fairly small? I am completely struggling here trying to recall after all of these months - but, could they be Gray Lady? I even remember the packet that I sent you, it was a small coin envelope, writing on the front - 'pencil' (I think), water stained. Do you recall if the seeds were smaller than most of the JP ones?

This is going to kill me today as I wrack my pea-brain to remember what the heck it was. I can "SEE" that envelope. And knowing me, it probably had about 4 seeds in it, because my approach was to grow a few and keep a few "just in case" and since I was leaving the country - just in case was better in the hands of someone else.

Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

OMG Sandra!! I think thats it!! lol I thought it was gray somthing, but could never find a pic of gray MG.. is there a pic that you know of?? You are the best Sandra!! That flower lasted a good 2½ days, and didnt wilt until the end. It really did good.

I know thats not the best picture, but it really does have a grey tint to it. I like it alot!

I sure hope things settle down for you! I think of you anytime I see one of my JMG bloom.

Albany (again), NY(Zone 5b)

What the HECK (edited so Dave and Terry don't censor me *hahaha*) are you doing up at this time of the morning....me, it's 10:45 am here, but for you, it's only 3 am. Please tell me you weren't lying awake at night trying to figure this out... *teasing grin*

I'll see what I can track down. It was a gift to me from another MG collector - and if you think the name had "gray" - that is definitely it. Actually, I am pretty pleased with myself for remembering the details, if not the name. Guess I'm not too old yet! ;-)

I grew mine indoors vining up a window bar, so mine were only white, but maybe they get a darker color with the sun.

Think Sbarr hit it.

I do not remember any flower looking like that from the co-ops. And it does kinda look gray.

Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

LOL Sandra, I have been on vacation, and my sleep schedule is kinda off. Yes Im sure thats what it was. I started it inside also, I thought I had better baby it since it had gotten wet. When it bloomed this winter inside, I thought it was a moonflower, because it was so white, but knew I didnt get any white moonflowers. The flower was bigger than the typical MG mix that I also started. But now that its outside, its staying the same size.
Thank you again Sandra!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.