kiwi disease?

Oak Grove, MN(Zone 4a)

I planted 2 hardy kiwi a couple weeks ago and they are leafing out well. However, in the last two days I've noticed some wilted leaves and some discolored spots on them, sort of black. Does anyone know what this is and what to do about it?
Thanks, Sylvi

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Have you checked for bugs? Are the black spots "sooty" looking? Are the leaves wilting from the edges, the ends, and turning brown? Or are they limp and still green?

Just curious.

By the way...WELCOME TO DG!

Oak Grove, MN(Zone 4a)

Hi! I looked for bugs and couldn't find any (I thought maybe spider mites but no signs of them). The affected leaves have a spot or two, irregularly shaped, nothing rubs off on my fingers-it's like the leaf is damaged, not like something is on the leaf. Soon the leaf with spots goes totally limp and just hangs there. As a whole, the plants still look lively and have new shoots, but they are small and don't have very many leaves to begin with. I'm afraid they will die on me. Thanks for any help.

Castelnau RB Pyrenée, France(Zone 8a)

How are things now sylvi? Are they surviving?
It sounds as if it could be some sort of blight :(
Hope not and that all is well!

Oak Grove, MN(Zone 4a)

Hi, thanks for checking in. I think that they got way too much water. We had 10 inches of rain in May! The male kiwi is doing great, putting out new leaves and everything, but the female drowned. I will have to order a new one. Most of the rest of the garden enjoyed the rain and is blooming like crazy.

Oh, poor thing
Glad the male survives (and the rest of your garden is lush) - you definitely need to get him a mate so you can enjoy the lovely fruit
I intend to get some too :)

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

I've lost so many females in that past...I have only a male left and it is extremely hardy! After re-purchasing females a couple times, then losing them I gave up (for now).

They're easy to root from suckers though. Wonder if anyone here has a female they could clip and root you some, sylvi.

Oak Grove, MN(Zone 4a)

Do you think that the females are less hardy? My female was smaller than my male so I just figured he had more leaves to lose before giving up. If anybody has A. kolomikta females, I would gladly pay for them. Thanks!

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Well, it seemed mine were...they were the only ones that kept dying out.

If I find some females I'll holler.

LOL SHOE *G*

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.