Propagating Herbs.........??

Henderson, NV(Zone 8b)

HI ALL ... Can I take cuttings and root them in water for herbs and mints? I have some lavendar, basils, sages, mints, and rosemary in a couple of half barrels and want to start some more plants. Also should I be cutting off the blooms since these are small first year plants....Very new at this, so much to learn....

Atascadero, CA(Zone 8a)

There are quite a few herbs you can start in water. Do it now while spring growth is lush: 3" tip cuttings, strip leaves off bottom 1/3 or so and put in water. Change water every day to prevent bacteria growth and pot up when roots are about 1/2" or so. Put in ground after root ball establishes in pot. Works for basil, pineapple sage, lemon verbena, rosemary, scented geraniums and lavender. Probably others too. You can also use layering technique with some. Haven't tried them all, but I know basil readily roots in water if the cuttings are healthy. And yes, pinch back growth to make plants bushier and to discourage bolting, but never more than 1/3 of plant.

Henderson, NV(Zone 8b)

Thanks so much, by the way, are my basils annual. Will they die in the fall? Will trim some stuff this weekend and see what I can get started in water. Thanks again....

Atascadero, CA(Zone 8a)

Yes, they are annuals. Much success with your cuttings. ;-)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.