Sweeter strawberries?

Dublin, OH(Zone 5a)

I have read that calcium help to replenish or maintain the sweetness of the berries. Is that true? If so, how do I add calcium? Ground up egg shell?

If that is not true, is there anything I could do to help with the sweetness of the strawberries? I know the type of the strawberries play a huge part in how sweet the fruit would eventually be. I just wonder if there is anyone I could do.

I have the Cottage Farm Titan strawberries.

Thanks in advance.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Howdy drop. By the way, WELCOME TO DG!

The sweetness does have to do w/the variety but also with the weather. From what I understand, too much watering during the last stages of fruit production will certainly increase the size of the fruit but some folks say it will dilute the sugars.

As for me, I only grow a couple strawberry baskets (hanging) and some barrels these days. Ozark and "everbearing" varieties seem to always have good flavor. (Also, our wild strawberries are very sweet!)

I'm sure someone with more knowledge will come along and chip in soon. Again, a hearty welcome to DG!
H.

{A farmer hauling a wagonload of manure was stopped by a young boy. The young boy asked, "Where you goin' with that manure?".

The Farmer replied, "We're going to put in on our strawberries."

The boy looked perplexed then invited, "You should come to our house sometime. We put cream and sugar on ours!"
τΏτ

Dublin, OH(Zone 5a)

Ha! That was funny.

Thank you for your reply, Horseshoe. I am also growing strawberries in hanging baskets, the only way I know how to keep the rabbits away.

I do believe wild strawberries are sweeter even though I'd never tasted it. When I visited Maine I had the opportunity to taste wild blueberries and wild raspberries. Goodness! They tasted so good and really different from the store bought kinds. I will be getting some wild blueberry plants soon. Hopefully they would do well in Ohio.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Yep, wild strawberries are good and sweet. There is a wild type that is called "mock strawberry" or "Indian strawberry" and it is very bland and kinda pithy. Those tend to have yellow flowers. The wild ones with the white flowers are the really sweet ones! Yummy!

We have one blueberry bush and am thinking of getting some more to line a fence with. Where I grew up, in the mountains, blueberries grew wild all over the place. Sure wish my woods here had those!

Be seein' ya around DG!

(Zone 4b)

We have the lowbush blues all around here, a scrub plant. Makes for nice walks in July. I have been growing the alpine strawberries (small tiny gourmet version of the wild kind I have all over) They are everbearing and only supply a handful for your cereal but what a tender TREAT!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.