Crazy Columbine?

Huntington, IN(Zone 5b)

Last year I bought two bright red and white columbine and saw several blooms on them. I remember exactly where I put them.No close columbines in the area. This year two plants came up and one was dark purple and the other one was a lighter purple with white. Someone told me that it was almost impossible and I must have forgot what I planted where....no I am not crazy...did cross pollination occur or what? These are big plants but not what I planted.

Also I have yellow lambs ears right beside the normal silver colored ones....man I am not sure I should be drinking the water around here. They look healthy as can be.
Anyone hear of yellow lambs ears.?..

Yes it's possible, cultivar Aquilegia vulgaris carry all sorts of colours in their gene pool and they can self seed in a rainbow of colours. Seed sown last May time will usually flower this May so they are likely to be from seed

Yellow leaved Stachys lanata is also perfectly possible and is a sport from the normal species. I nabbed a cultivar last year called Primrose Heron which is one of the yellow leaved sports.

http://images.google.com/images?q=stachys+primrose+heron&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.