Citrus

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

I have a bunch of seeds from 2002.
Lemon, Tangelo, Grapefruit, Orange.
How do i get these sprouting.
What temperature, water, Light, etc.

I started with 30 lemon seeds 6 weeks ago, none have sprouted. What am i doing wrong?

This message was edited May 19, 2004 11:35 AM

Naples, FL(Zone 10a)

If the seeds are 6 weeks old, this is your problem, you need to remove the seed from the fruit and plant immediately if not sooner! Lemon will germinate in about 7 days as will most citrus, but will not bear fruit for 10 years. :( The seeds need to stay warm and moist!

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

ya, these seeds are a couple years old.

CREZIERES, France(Zone 8a)

My experience is somewhat different. I often plant orange pips after washing them for a while. If I plant them indoors in the autumn, in my barely heated conservatory, it is not usually until the late spring that they germinate, if planted in the spring then 12 weeks is usually enough to germinate them.

This tallies with the results of Deno on tangerine seeds (80-85% germ in 4 - 13 weeks at 70 deg F).

I guess that 2 years' storage might be too long, but I'd leave those you have planted for at least six months at warm temperatures before throwing them out.

As you have some more seeds, why not try soaking them in warm water overnight before planting them? (Won't cost you anything but the time...)

Mike

Baytown, TX(Zone 9b)

There is a citrus tree (not sure what kind) except totally delicious in my sons yard. It is huge. How does one take and root cuttings? Do I have to graft? How long before we would see Fruit?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.