Can I used these bottles for seedlings???

Linden, TN

I have about a gazzillion water bottles and gather more every day. A lot of which we use as packing material for when we ship out some of our Ebay Sales. (Like gargantuan bubble wrap, with out the wrap...) I was thinking of cutting the bottom half off and using it for little starter pots for seedlings and small cuttings. They are clear, so should I maybe spray paint the outside black or something? Or would they be alright just clear..??

Thanks,
Carolyn

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

I start seedlings in clear coke bottles. They do fine :o)

Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

I did rose cuttings in cut off clear bottles as well a few years ago,just kept them in a shaded area,
Brigitte

Linden, TN

Thanks, I did not know if I should darken the outside of the bottle with spray paint or something to keep the roots dark...
I will be using lots of them this summer then....
Appreciate the feedback folks.

LL

CREZIERES, France(Zone 8a)

It will only matter when you see the roots, by which time you should probably pot on the young plants anyway...
M

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

I start mine in GatoradepoweradeV8 etc, bottles

Interlachen, FL

Make sure you drill drainage holes, or the plants leaves may start to yellow down the road.

Cleveland, OH(Zone 5b)

I use an old soldering iron to burn holes in the bottom of plastic bottles and milk jugs. works real fast and easy.

Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

Another hint....cut the bottle in half.
Use the bottom as a starter pot and the tophalf as a dome to put over tender cuttings in a pot already,
Brigitte

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.