propogating Japanese Maples

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Any info on how to propogate these beautiful little trees?

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Hmmm....seed is the only way I have every managed to do it.
I have no lie hundreds of babies popping up in my yard every year.
Want some????

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

yes, I would love some. Are you talking about the small tree type that looks great with pruning or the tall tree?

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

The mother tree of these is probably no more than 4 feet tall with a good 5+ foot spread.
I'll send you a pic of baby and mommie when I get in this evening.

Harlem, GA(Zone 8a)

My mother has this tree, I'll be looking for seeds next time Im over there. When is the best time to look? lol stupid question I know but hey...ask if ya dont know and ye shall figure it out eh? lol

I'd like to see the pic too to see if it's the same as my mom's tree :)

Ciao

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Oh I doubt it will be the same....there are over 300 varieties/cultivars of Acer palmatum.
http://www.thegardenhelper.com/a~palmatum.html

Harlem, GA(Zone 8a)

Yeah, my mom's tree has been there awhile, and it's only about 10-12 ft. tall...not sure the species name of this one ...but even at that, how about the seeds? on all of them?

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Mine is producing seed now....so I would say most any time from now till July.....look for the 'twirly gigs' the browner and crisper the better ripe the seeds should be.

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Yes rikerbear - I want some babies. Can you send me some for postage? How tall are the bigger babies? That way I can judge how many to beg for.....thanks bear

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Okay I have tried to get pic of these baby maples, but can't get the camera to produce a good pic of color.....(need a new digi camera)
The trees are from 6 to 10 inches (1 yr old mostly)...and nice reddish/yellow color.
I have 5 babies I can send.
Two of you have requested some so:
3 to Shitzumom
2 to Yardbird
Send me your respective address ladies....postage is roughly $3.85 priority. If you have PayPal you can send it to me that way. PayPal account is under:
riker@w-link.net

RikerBear
Marc

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Wow! Your fast shihtzumom....lol I have recieved your PayPal payment so will get your babies ready to ship out on Monday (don;t want them sitting in a post office all weekend)
Please let me know when they're recieved if you would. :-)

RikerBear
Marc

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

I'll let you know bear - thanks so much for doing that for me.

Yeah, please wait until Monday. Have a great weekend.
Kathy

Atascadero, CA(Zone 8a)

A friend of mine collected seeds last fall from a beautiful Japanese Garden here and asked me for help in getting them to grow. Never had experience in that area, but did come up with a helpful (though commercial) site that will send you a 5-part E-mail course. They did not solicit business after I received it. It might be helpful to you.
http://japanese-maple.com/

Oakland, KY

This is my 2nd day as a member of DG and I love this. I had no idea the Japanese Maples produced those seeds, but I will be looking at mine tomorrow. I think it is a Crimson King, I'm sorry not an expert but I love that tree, I have had it about 3 years and its about 3 1/2 feet tall and 4 1/2 feet wide. I 've wanted to get one for my dad but man around here I can't afford it. I paid 370. for mine 3 years ago. But you better believe I'll be looking for seed and Dad will get his tree and another for me and ....... Thx for the great info.

Atascadero, CA(Zone 8a)

Welcome aboard! ;-) I've only been here a month or so and you'll continue to be amazed, as I am. Very helpful!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.