How do I propagate Euphorbia trigona

Gladewater, TX(Zone 8a)

I have what is left of my mother's beautiful and once 6 foot tall E. trigona. It is now about three foot and curled up in the bottom of a 5 gallon pot and doesn't look like it is going to make it. I suspect my mom may have babyed it to death by overwatering it. There are still some green tops and I would like to know exactly how to go about propagating these to create some new plants. How large should the cuttings be and what do I do with them once they are cut? Sun? Shade? Any information would be helpful.
Thanks
Kelly

GOD's Green Earth, United States(Zone 8b)

Kelly: I'm not sure which euphorbia you have, but as an experiment this past winter I started some tip cuttings of my euphorbia milii (Crown of Thorns) and they rooted in less than one week.

Edited to add - I just stuck them in potting soil.

This message was edited May 16, 2004 7:18 PM

CREZIERES, France(Zone 8a)

Reader's Digest Encyclopaedia of Garden Plants says that succulent Euphorbias are difficult to root. However your best chance is next month.
Cut a small branch off and leave it for at least a week to dry off. (The callus needs to be firm and dry.) Then put it in a mixture of lightly moist coarse sand and peat in a ratio of 2:1 in favour of the sand.

(It might be an idea to take several cuttings and put some of them under a plastic tent to see if that would make a difference to the process).

If it starts to rot, cut the affected part off and dry thoroughly before starting the proces again.

Mike

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.