Is yarrow supposed to get this big?

High Springs, FL(Zone 8b)

This is an achillea I bought last fall in a 1-gallon pot. It has been divided and thinned several times in the past 3 months and continues to grow and spread (currently it's 4 feet high.) It caught me by surprise because I've had another variety, in a different bed, for the past 2 years and it never got over 18" high.

Thumbnail by Amaryllisgal
Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

I have a red one, and it gets very big as well - I pretty much took it down to "nothing" last fall, leaving very little of it, because it had been over-run with grass growing in it. It is already coming back. These plants can be very invasive, and even end up in someone's yard a block away! They grow like there is no tomorrow! :)

Camilla, GA(Zone 8a)

Yep,
They do here in my neck of the woods..Southwest GA..

Larkie

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

I wish mine get that big and I think the shorter ones are a newer cultivar and this one might be a relative. Awesome garden, yard and trees!

Thanks for the replies (and the compliments!) I'm thinking about digging these up and putting them somewhere where they can "run". They're really nice plants, but I just don't want them taking over this particular bed!

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Mine would get that tall if I let it. I get cutting it back to keep it around 3-4ft. tall. It also freely re-seeds around the garden, so I divide up my clumps and trade them.

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

get used to what the foilage looks like, so that in the Spring, when they start popping up where you don't want them, you can pull them. They will spread very far, as I said before. They ARE beautiful though! They also help with getting rid of certain insects!

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 9b)

Hey Blooms! I think maybe if you had more than 5% humidity... might have SOMETHING to do with it...
~'spin!~

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

crystalspin - I would be more than happy to "share" our humidity with you! It is usually 80-90% (sometimes 100%) during the summer months!! It's like gardening in a sauna!!! :~)

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

They go crazy

Princeton, IL(Zone 5a)

Yarrow can be cut down by half when it reaches about 18" in growth (up here that is in May). It will bloom about 3 weeks later and at a much shorter height. This helps the droop factor! In Florida, does it die back or does it stay green all the time?

LimeyLisa Kay

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

hmmm - my red yarrow blooms late summer to early autumn. Maybe it's my location, or maybe it's the type. I'm glad it blooms when it does, because I have lots of spring and early summer bloomers and not enough late summer & fall - I'm working on adding some, so I can have nice color all of the growing seasons.

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Mine is starting to bloom now and it is about 3 feet tall...and spreads wider and wider each year. This was my Grandma's and she passed away 2 years ago this week. I love it!!

It's good to know that it can be cut back without affecting the blooms. This stuff has become so dense that it's covering up adjacent plants. I finally moved the largest clump to another area this weekend - we'll see how it does!

To answer your question, LimeyLisa, these stayed green and bright all through winter even though we had a couple of hard freezes.

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

My red, white & pink stays at about 24 inches max. I have Yellow Moonwalker that goes to 4 foot ...

Thumbnail by Wandasflowers
Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

Wanda, that gold is beautiful. I planted one this spring that the label said is yellow, but I hope it looks like yours. My pink one stays about 18-20 inches tall but has spread like something wild. Karrie, could I get a start of your red one, maybe trade for something or just for postage this fall?

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

I've never mailed a start nor received one, so tell me how to do it, and I'll send you one! (email me)

Saint Charles, MO

A really severe storm took down half of my bradford pear tree last night. Therefore, there is a raw, exposed section of where once there was bark. My neighbor says that there is a tar like substance that can be used to keep insects from invading the tree. Anyone know anything about this? Thanks.

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

yes - you can get it at Lowes, in the garden section. not sure of the name of it, but it is this gooey stuff that is especially for that. someone will see this and probably know the name of it, or you can just go to Lowes and ask them.

Savannah, GA(Zone 8b)

It didn't take a storm to break my bradford pear in half. Just a slight wind and the tree split. We had the remainder of the tree cut down. These are very weak wood.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.