Rose Seeds

Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

Hi,
Who has been successful with seeds from a rosebush ? how is it done ? what is the success rate ?
Meant to harvest rosehips from bushes last year and forgot about it.So they stayed on the bushes thruout the winter.Can I still use these since they have gone thru the winter/cold stage ?
I am intriqued by the whole idea and think it might be a challenge.
I have tried several times to raise a Rosebush from Seeds and only once did I have luck. Have one in a Pot now,it will be the 3rd Year and I hope it will bloom this summer so I can see what I ended up with :-)
Thanks for any Information,
Brigitte

CREZIERES, France(Zone 8a)

Most rose seeds will germinate if left outside over winter. You need to make sure they are clean of the slightly greasy covering within the hip, before sowing them in a (preferably) somewhat gritty compost, and leaving them in a sheltered spot.

Zirconia, NC(Zone 7a)

I have some seedlings growing now that are about 4 inches tall. I got the seeds off a bush last winter. Cleaned them and kept them in the fridge for several weeks. Soaked them in water with little hydrogen peroxide added, and then planted in container with damp soil. Covered with plastic wrap and placed on heating pad. They started sprouting in couple of weeks. When they they had about 3 or 4 little leaves, I transplanted them in separate little pots and have them outside. They are slowly growing but do look like roses. I am optimistic as this is the first ones I have tried. Started some more seed outside at same time and they haven't sprouted as of yet.

Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

Bump

NCBetty,
how did your roses do ? mine haven't done a darn thing exept grow some,no blooms again last year.

Eureka, CA

I tried once.... from the hips of a bush rose "Bonica"..... no luck, but it was all just trial and error for me.

Sanna

Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

I am doing a little trial right now myself again.I picked some hips just a few days ago at our sons house.
Since I figured they have been stratified enough thru the winter I will give it a shot and see ? who knows ?

I also will take a cutting from the same rose later on this year because that rose is a old garden rose with the most wonderful scent.

Thumbnail by Eglantyne
Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

THanks everyone! I am definitely going to try this!

Adrian, MO(Zone 6a)

I think if your gonna plant the seeds, at least try to pick two roses that you would like to see crossed and take a small paintbrush, taking the pollen from one bush and put it on a flower of the 2nd bush, mark the bloom from the 2nd bush and plant those hips. i think you would have a better chance of producing a rose that was unique and perhaps a step above a self-pollinated rose. That's just my opinion for what it's worth.

Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

Thanks Len123,
I have crossed DL but I have never tried roses even though I have thought about it before.

Have you done that ?

Adrian, MO(Zone 6a)

No eglantine i have never done it before. I would like to try one of these days when i get all the roses i have ordered and put in the ground and growing. I think it would be very interesting. Or I would be very interested in pictures of other people's hybrids. There is a hybridizer website and i have browsed the pictures of others hybrids and they hybridize some very nice roses.I'm particularly interested in crosses that you never have seen before, not that they haven't been done, but i'd like to see them whether they were worthwhile for commerce or not. I think ashdown roses has a a contest where they will grow out and propagate seedlings and if they are worthwhile for commerce introduce them. I'd like to see the entries.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.