Peaches are just about ready!

Mount Hermon, LA(Zone 8b)

I have been fighting the birds off with a baseball bat! LOL. How do they know just which peach is ripe?

This little tree gave us six big peaches the year after it was planted (the birds got the rest).

These are just some of the peaches on my three-year-old Flordaking tree. We've eaten a few already that had ripened. The rest should be ready very soon.

Thumbnail by LouisianaSweetPea

This is a closer pic of the fruit.

Thumbnail by LouisianaSweetPea
Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Sweet pea:

You are the first person that I have encountered that has actually grown the low chill requirement (Florida) peach. I have had several inquiries over the past several years so I know they exist, but very little about them. We grow basicly the same types of cultivars in Georgia as we we did in Virginia. How is the taste compared to conventional peach cultivars? They certainly look good. While you at it, how about adding it to the plants database.

Thanks for the suggestion Farmerdill. I hunt for low-chill fruit because I know it is such a struggle in my growing zone (9A).

I AM pushing the zone with several varieties of fruit, such as a semidwarf 'Starkspur Red Rome Beauty' apple, a Seckel pear tree, and a semidwarf 'Starkrimson Sweet Cherry,' a (relatively) low-chill, bing-type cherry tree -- but I want to experiment anyway. Those were all planted this spring.

This year, I've also planted a 'Burbank July Elberta' dwarf peach and a dwarf Bonanza peach. The genetic dwarf, purple-leaf, 'Patio Red' peach I planted two years ago gets flowers but no fruit yet.

I have tasted only two other peach types with which to compare the Flordaking -- store-bought peaches (their taste and texture are very poor) and once, long ago, peaches from a roadside stand in Georgia (pure Heaven!!!).

The Flordaking's fruit, when ripe, has a nice texture and is very fresh- and sweet-tasting. The flesh is yellow and the skin is yellow and, when ripe, heavily blushed with red.

Jean

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.