Jasmine Vine

Leesville, LA(Zone 8a)

I have a jasmine vine (not sure which kind, is it confederate?), in the pot I purchased it in. I am not sure what to do with it. It had little blooms all over it, but now I haven't seen any in a few weeks. The plant is still very green - I just don't see any new flowewrs coming up. The pot sits in my porch, but I don't have anything for it to climb up. All of the wrought iron fence-things I see at garden shops are made to stick in the ground. We have stucco walls and cement porch. I live a rental house for now, so I want the vine to be able to grow without getting permamnet on the fence or on the house. My questions are: does anyone know why the blooms stopped (they smelled so GOOD!) and does anyone have ideas of what the vine can climb on? I hesitate about the fence because it's in full sun and not sure how the vine would do. On the porch, the vine gets no direct sunlight - but seemes to be blooming away so I never moved it. Here is a pic before with blooms.....and now with NO blooms and lots of feet that wanna climb. Sorry for the long message! Any suggestions what to do with this plant to make it happy again and smelling good??? My first vine, LOL!
~Dana~

Thumbnail by DanaFL78
Leesville, LA(Zone 8a)

I know the 2nd message will get seperated within the posts, and not sure why I didn't originally just reply to my own message with the NOW picture. Here it is :)
Help would be reaaaaally appreciated. I don't know much about gardening, so I am experimenting with all sorts of plants and coming here so I can learn. :)
~Dana~

Thumbnail by DanaFL78
Prattville, AL(Zone 8a)

dana, It look's like confederate jasmine(also know as star jasmaine) to me, My blooms are more yellow than white though. I also have a verigated confederate jasmine which the blooms are white (such as yours are). As far as which type jasmaine you have, i'll leave that to someone who know's more about that part.

As for the blooming problem my jasmine does bloom off & on most of the spring & summer, but does have points where there are no blooms in between. You might want to re-pot it in a Larger pot and use some type of fertilizer. I like one with extra for bloom boosting (here it's called Blooming & Rooting and is put out by Fertilome.

Now the wal-mart here has a very nice trellis made for pot's from the look's of your plant you may want a large size, they are sold small, med, & large. I have mine growing on these and they are doing great.

Hope this helps

Dixiechick

Navarre (NW FL), FL(Zone 8b)

Dana,
The blooming period for some jasmines is short but some bloom at 2 different times of the year. First in the spring and then again in the fall. It may be perfectly normal for it to stop blooming. I'm no expert though. I'm not sure what jasmine you have but I do know that it isn't confederate jasmine. I have confederate and its blooming habit is somewhat like I have discribed above. Confederate jasmine will actually stick to almost any surface it grows on. It will stick to it to the point to where you cannot pry it off without causing damage to the surface it has stuck onto. Even if you are fortunate enough to pry it off, it will leave traces of it's bark and roots attached to the surface it was growing on.

Prattville, AL(Zone 8a)

Dana, you may want to post this in the ID forum also, There are a lot of people there just waiting to ID something.
Dixiechick

Leesville, LA(Zone 8a)

Thanks DixieChick and BugFreak :) I appreciate your help!
~Dana~

Dana,
Here is the name of your jasmine. It is Jasminum polyanthum. I have included a link with info on it. Notice the compound leaf. The confederate jasmine does not have this type of leaf.
http://www.mtholyoke.edu/offices/botan/feat_plant/jasminum/jas.html

This message was edited May 6, 2004 10:33 PM

Ventura, United States(Zone 10b)

I agree with BugFreak that this is definitely not Trachelospermum jasminoides, also called Confederate jasamine. BugFreak, I think you might be confusing Confederate jasmine with something else because all of my four Confederate jasmines are climbing and twining, but they don't have aerial rootlets, and they don't stick to anything. I have to twine mine around supports.

Dana, I too thought your vine was Jasminum polyanthum when I saw the leaves. The leaves are distinctive. But when I saw the blooms, I was puzzled. Your blooms have absolutely no pink on the outside, and Jasminum polyanthum does have pink on the outside. Then I remembered that there is another Jasmine, called Jasminum officinale syn Jasminum grandiflorum, which has similar leaves to Jasminum polyanthum, and the flowers look just like yours. I believe now that you have Jasminum officinale. See this link: http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/consumer/factsheets/vines/jasminum_officinale.html

Good job Clare. My confederate jasmine is very twiny (and sometimes stringy) too but it seems that where it makes contact with a surface or bark of trees (on older parts of the vine) it develops this growth like velcro and it get's stuck. They aren't areal roots of any type. This is just a growth that sticks very much against almost any surface. My confederate jasmine in Texas did this and the ones here growing in some of the local commercial landscaping do it too. I saw some today. Good job with the ID. I'm new with anything other than Confederate Jasmine.

Hi BugFreak, thanks for the info about Confederate Jasmine. I did not know that it did that. Interesting! One of mine just keeps climbing and climbing and doing its own thing (see below)! I've been battling with climbing ivy on this property, and its tendency to stick to everything is maddening!

By the way, BugFreak, HAPPY BIRTHDAY! I hope you're having a great day:-)

Thumbnail by Clare_CA

Clare,
Thanks for the good wishes.

Like ivy... That's what I was trying to think of when I was trying to describe the jasmine habit of sticking to things. I know how frustrting it can be. Were you ever able to confirm this habit through another information source?

BugFreak, I hope you had a great day yesterday.

No, I was not able to confirm this habit through another source, but I didn't try either. I did examine all four of mine and could find no sign of adherence. I have two against each side of my house, which has aluminum siding. I have one out front, and I have to wrap the long vines around the wooden beams to get it to climb. The one in back is the picture above and is a huge old bush.

This is a picture from last year of the one in front that I had to wrap around the beam.

Thumbnail by Clare_CA

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.