growing amaryllis from seeds

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Hi - Has anyone grown amaryllis from seeds? I have found a couple of different methods to propagate them, but what do you guys think is the best?

One way said to put them in soil sideways, keep moist, provide light and they will germinate in 2-3 weeks.

Another way had them in wet tissue in ziplock bags kept warm and under lights and said they would germinate that way in 2-3 weeks.

Another way said to lay them on soil flat - didn't say to cover them or not with soil or how much.

Anyone with experience germinating them that could tell me what you think is the best way or the way that has worked for you?

Thanks in advance!!

Onalee

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

I found this on the web...

"Seed pods of amaryllis develop rapidly and are mature within 4 to 5 weeks after the flower has been pollinated. Pods should be picked as soon as they turn yellow and begin to break open. Seeds should be removed from the pod, allowed to dry for a few days and planted immediately. The seed bed should be partially shaded, and the media used for seed germination should be well drained. Following germination, increase the light until the plants are receiving full sunlight."

http://ianrpubs.unl.edu/horticulture/g188.htm#propagation

Valinda, CA(Zone 10a)

I scattered seeds on top of potting soil in a flat as soon as the pod split. I covered them slightly and kept them moist on by back porch. They are growing nicely.

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Thanks for the info!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.