Candy Tuft?

Bensenville, IL(Zone 5a)

Does anyone know about these? Suppose to bloom nice white and am interested to know if they take any special care as the container they came in didn't really say much about their care! Thanks, Denise

Hillsdale, NY(Zone 5b)

Mine didn't make it through the winter here. I cut it back to 4" in early March. Don't know if that did it, or if it was the extreme cold earlier. Sorry I don't have and positive information.

Julie

Manassas, VA(Zone 7a)

I replied to this back on Trees and Shrubs...this grows in our yard. The Latin name is iberis sempervirens. It's perennial and the leaves, which resemble creeeping phlox, are evergreen...at least here in zone 7 they are. Mine has been blooming since April. It actually looks a lot like creeping phlox but it's white, and I don't think any creeping phlox is white. It's very easycare. I don't cut mine back at all, I just ignore it and it does just fine. Plant it in full sun.

Coopersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

i agree - very easy care, bright white flowers, and easily separated. what i like best is the fact that it's evergreen. after many years, i found it got leggy....cut it back and it did just fine.

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

I have it spilling out of our large wishing well....it's been there for 4 years now and just keeps getting bigger and fuller.
I do give it a flat top clip just after bloom fades, and it sends up wonderful new growth.
Very easy to care for, not at all fussy.

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

I've had one for years here. It didn't look that great in March, as we had had a really harsh winter compared to normal. But It came back - has lotza white flowers.

As far as care - very easy. It get's neglected most of the time - little water, and it doesn't seem to fuss. They can get huge, and you need to trim them unless you want them to take over a spot.

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Went out and took these. This candytuft is about two feet wide this year [its third] from a six pack start.

Thumbnail by BloomsWithaView
Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Part two: up close they're enchanting. Don't let them really dry out, otherwise they're carefree.

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

They usually bloom at the same time as my sapponaria and this gold alyssum is listed as companion plant in mags.

Bensenville, IL(Zone 5a)

Thankyou so much for all the info and beautiful pictures! Sounds pretty hearty, I also bought as a 6 pack, will it grow and bloom this yr? Thanks, Denise

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Mine did bloom way out of scheduled timing [spring] the first year; no way to foretell individual outcome. This is gardening not chemistry. Welll,,,, in some ways. Nevermind. Just enjoy, knowing they'll bloom next year.,Blooms

Bensenville, IL(Zone 5a)

Thankyou BloomsWithaView!!! Denise

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

Here's a pic of mine, with flax. So glad it's spring! :)

Thumbnail by Karrie20x
Santa Ana, CA(Zone 9b)

Karrie:
Do you grow your flax from seed? I planted some but no show... pkg says must have dark to germinate, but then dictates a pretty shallow planting depth... I'm guessing I watered the cover off and hence no sprouting.
~spin!~

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

crystal,

That big plant was a tiny skinny little thing given to me from my friend Dee last year. It wasn't from seed, just pulled from another gardener's yard, and she gave him a dollar for it, lol! (she knew I'd been wanting it).

I have heard you can grow it from seed, but have never tried, and don't know the specifics. If it says "shallow" planting depth, try this one method I have. I put in a pot, regular transplanting/potting mix, and then top the top with about 1/4 to 1/2 inch germination soil, which is so fine, you have to moisten in a bowl first - helps alot with fine seeds.

Actually, I use that method with most of my germination, and it really helps - especially with tiny tiny seeds that have a hard time breaking through into coarser mixes.

Generally, put down the regular transplant soil, then place the seed, then top with the moistened germination mix. But if the seed is very fine, I don't do the seed until last, and barely poke it in there, to make the shallow effect.

I sure hope that helps. I've been really successful in germination since I started doing them this way.

For very large seeds, I skip the germination soil altogether. The stuff stinks, sort of, and is hard on my nose! lol!

If it says dark, do it down in the basement, but keep it warm still. If you don't have a basement, then try a closet. Just keep an eye on it, because as soon as something germinates, it will at that point need some light.

also, water from the bottom, very thickly with water - believe me, all of the dirt will get water, and it will help prevent washing the seeds away. :)

This message was edited May 10, 2004 8:01 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.