azalea

Newport News, VA(Zone 7a)

Will azeliea clipppings root in
water? have several bushes in front
but would like to spread them to back
yard. suggestions?

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

I personally have had zero luck rooting azaleas :-(
If there's a secret to it I would love to know it.
The neighbors have the most gorgeous tangerine colored ones and I have never seen them anywhere for sale.

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

i know how you do rhodendrons maybe its the same.

the way i do my rhodendrons is as follows. take a lengthy stalk and bury part of it. leave leaves at tip to get sun and leave attached to main plant. make sure it stays covered with dirt and water and eventually it will root. i have gotten several babies due to them doing this on their own and me doing it for them. maybe it will work and maybe it wont with an azelea.

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Layering could work I suppose....wonder if my neighbors would let me do that.

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

Rikerbear I have a tangerine one that was lindas grandmothers. I got it when renters pulled it out to put in a patio. It was in three chuncks when I got it one survived. Just in the last week someone said they could not find that color must be because it is old. Ernie

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Awesome Ernie! If it is like the ones I see here in Seattle, it is a gorgeous color. Your lucky
How about layering a branch for me???? :-)

Montgomery, AL(Zone 8a)

Azaleas can be rooted by layering or by taking tip cuttings, either soft wood or hard wood and placing in a good rooting medium. A mixture of mostly sand, keep damp but not standing in water, would be best. You will need to take several cuttings after they have bloomed for this yr. I usually get 2 or 3 out of 5 - 10 cuttings to root this way. By layering you will get 100% rooted. Both processes take a good while. You have to be patient.

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

Rikerbear I probably could but have never done it or really read about it.
when do you do it on which wood and all the rest I think I might know someone who knows about this stuff I will call him.Ernie

This message was edited Apr 28, 2004 4:57 PM

Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

I met a woman who makes a great deal of her income from layering her shrubs. She invested in rare ones and let them grow a couple of years, then started layering. Her shrubs look very strange because a good percentage of them all have plastic wrap filled with sphagnum moss inside them, tied to the branches. lol

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Thanks Ernie....layering is as I've heard faily easy.
Lay a branch down on the ground.....scrape the area that tounches the groung lightly to remove bark and expose the green wood.
Pin the wounded area down to the ground with a bent wire or paperclip....cover with soil, keep watered and wait a few months. Once the layer has rooted simply prune it away from the mother plant and pot it up or plant it.

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

RikerBear my azelia is surrounded by rohdies maybe I can dig it up and get a rooted branch off it but I need to wait for fall I think. I need to move it anyway or cut the stuff around it so if it dies it dies. I think its really tough though so with a little care it should be fine. Meanwhile its your job to remind me I can try to start some from cuttings in the meantimeE mail me once a week untill I tell you I got the cuttings done just blooming now so start inthree weeks ok. Ernie

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Wow! Okay Ernie I'll do my best to remember to remind you about the cuttings.
Thank you for going to all this trouble for me. :-)

Marc

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

Rikerbear the Eagle has landed. I drove to Custer and retrieved a potted start of Lindas grandmothers azela. It had a single bloom on it which blew off on the way home. If you can get her soon you can see the color on mine I sure hope it is the color you are looking for if it is not I cant change it and refuse to let you sue me for not lol. E Mail me for time and directions. Ernie

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

I read an article once on propigating azaleas...was planning on doing it someday but I can't seem to keep them alive...but maybe someone wants to try it....

You dig a deep hole,then take the whole azalea bush and bury it so that the root ball and 50%-75% of the plant are underground.
Dig it up a year later and supposedly you have a ton of rooted azalea cuttings.....

you could probably take a bucket or a pail,cut the bottom out,place it over a small bush thats established ,fill it with dirt and have the same results a year later...that is ...if it works....

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Ernie you have mail! Your awesome!!!!!!

Brundidge, AL(Zone 8b)

i took two cuttings that were not blooming and dipped in rooting horomone,and put in aoil. i read some where that If you have some limbs rooted under your azalas, cut the limb from the moma plant and leaveit in the ground there to grow on it's own, till fall and then transplant to your new area.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.