Kiss-Me-Over-the-Garden Gate

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

I measured it at 55 inches and it's still growing. Here's a pic of the blossoms forming on the top.

Thumbnail by Karrie20x
Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

Here's a pic of her backyard, so you can get an idea of the height of her dog run that her loves lies bleeding is up against.

Thumbnail by Karrie20x
Brown City, MI(Zone 5a)

Karrie,

That is tall ........... it's going to be beautiful when those tendrils hang down.

I've got 3 plants that look exactly like those, but are much shorter and haven't branched out much. I think that is because they don't get much sun where they are planted. They weren't marked, but they were being sold right next to the one's marked Love Lies Bleeding. Now that I see your pictures, I'm going to make sure I collect seed, and try them in a sunny spot next year.

I'm curious if Love lie's Bleeding is a name used for all amaranths with the long hanging tendrils. I've even seen some amaranths with a different type flower being referred to as LLB ............. I guess it isn't important, but I do like to properly mark things, especially if I am going to share.

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

Yes - I agree with you about marking them. I'm going to save seed from these, and share, but will make sure I share the photos as well, so they can see for sure what they are getting! I received these seeds from Arkansas - in fact, I think I still have some left - I'd have to check, but if I do, you are welcome to them if you don't end up getting seed from yours. They were great germinators.

Brown City, MI(Zone 5a)

Karrie,

Thanks for offering me some seeds. I'll make a note of your offer so I don't forget.

Milo, IA(Zone 5a)

Karrie: What your neighbor has is problably what is called 'Indigo Red Dye' also an amaranth.
Love lies bleedings leaves are light to med. green and the tassels are from a pink to light red.

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

Well, my neighbor got it from me (I grew it from seed and shared). I have noticed that the different plants I grew all seem to be different. Some are burgandy, some have both green and burgandy leaves. Big variance. Whatever they are, they are much loved - very striking in the garden.

Brown City, MI(Zone 5a)

Just thought I would update this thread with a picture of my Variegated KMOGG blooms. For me it didn't bloom until the 1st of September, but this year has been very unusual weather-wise.

Nice soft pink blooms.

Thumbnail by Tree_Climber
Milo, IA(Zone 5a)

Nice showing of blooms. I was surprised to see that they were a much softer pink. I have had things going on with family members, haven't even had time to get out in the garden. Hope to get out there in the garden tomorrow.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.