Snowball Viburnum

Social Circle, GA(Zone 8a)

Has anyone successfully propagated cuttings? The PD says from softwood cuttings & I don't want to waste cuttings (that I could be trading ;)) if there's one good way to do it.

Zirconia, NC(Zone 7a)

I rooted some cuttings last summer. Took cuttings just after bush was blooming, put in soil and kept damp. Had them near outside faucet in the shade next to house on north side.Had good success.

Thanks for the info! I appreciate it.

Dundee, OH(Zone 5b)

I just posted asking same thing! then realized this was further down the thread, I am trying now to root some sofwood cuttings from one, hopefully it will take. Thanks for the info.

I am patiently waiting for it to be done blooming! My neighbor counted the blooms (the bush belongs to him) and there were 384 balls! Good Luck Ohio! Let me know how it goes!

Dundee, OH(Zone 5b)

Well, I just snipped off some branches to try, I cut the flower off (as hard as that was to do!! they smell heavenly!!) and am gonna give it a try now, if nothing happens, I will try after they are done blooming and snip some more :)

Harlem, GA(Zone 8a)

OB, what species of Verbernum is this that has a frangrance, do you know. Mine doesnt have a scent at all, they're the big snowball's, there's small ones and bigger ones.
Thanks

Dundee, OH(Zone 5b)

BA, this one is Viburnum carlecephalum (Fragrant Snowball) it is deciduous, grows 6-10 feet tall and wide. Flowers are very very fragrant, long-lasting, white, and 4-5 inch clusters, they are in full bloom now. This one, at first, you think it is either similar to lilac or I just cannot explain it, you would have to smell it, but like I said, similar to a lilac BUT much more fragrant if that could be possible. The flowers do last a long time, and are just gorgrous!!! Hope this helps, also here are some other Viburnum's that are fragrant: v. burkwoodii, v. carlesii (flowers are clove scented), v. farreri, and v. odoratissimum (lightly fragrant), I know I do have an old fashioned one from a dear Aunt who has since passed on, her plant is NOT fragrant at all, weird, I know as the older plants usually were the fragrant ones!!!

Harlem, GA(Zone 8a)

OB that helps alot thank you, and I'll be hoping to get my hands on one that has a scent. I am going to try to air layer mine so wish me luck !!!

Brundidge, AL(Zone 8b)

I have a flat of about 15 started but i am only seeing leaves on one so far, but the others still have green under the bark so wish me luck, and this one has a nice fragrance. I traded a few unnamed brugs for some cuttings. I have them in sand, and i dipped them in rooting hormone. This one is hummer-nuts, i hope teh rest start showing leaves. They all had a flower on them too,so i just snipped it off and cut the limb into peices

Thumbnail by springsong
Harlem, GA(Zone 8a)

That looks like it's going to work SS, you have my blessings and looks like you need no luck, you got the touch :)

Julie

Brundidge, AL(Zone 8b)

if they all take i will have some to share i will keep this thread on my watch list and let you know

Dundee, OH(Zone 5b)

wow SS I hope they all take for you as well, and BA, if by chance I would get some cuttings to take, I will keep you in mind for this wonderfully fragrant one!!

Harlem, GA(Zone 8a)

That sounds great to me SS and OB! Was talking to my aunt in SC and she tells me there's one that smells of spice...Shoot I dont care, as long as it smells lolol!

Thanks you two ! Much luck to you both

BA

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.