blue poppies

(Zone 4b)

I have some nice hililayan poppy seeds from England that have rather complicated sowing directions. Im supposed to start them in a tray, then transplant, then harden off and then plant in the garden after 2 months. Has anyone tried this? What happens if I just plant them outside directly? Theyre so beautiful and special I want to do the right thing, any suggestions? Thanks, Greta

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

Do a search in the forums. I read a thread on the blue poppies not long ago, I'm sure you can find it some help there.

CREZIERES, France(Zone 8a)

I personally like to grow Meconopsis one seed to as smallish (2" square or 3" round). THat way you don't need to ever 'drag' them out of their footing, but pot on once in their root ball before planting out. If you sow at the right time of year (say now) you hardly need to harden them off at all, since by the time they are big enough to put outside it will be July....

Marysville, WA(Zone 7a)

gretagreta, if you scroll down to the april11th entry in propagation there is a site that has some info on meconopsis.This year I cast some seed directly into the garden as well as in starter pots. The outdoor ones seem to be doing better than the indoor ones. Good luck

(Zone 4b)

THANKYOU ALL SO MUCH FOR CARING AND SHOWING !!!!!
Greta

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.