Japanese Magnolia Tree seeds?'s

Temple, GA(Zone 7b)

I have just gotten a pretty good many seeds from my Tulip Tree (Japanese Magnolia Tree). They are dry, and I just wondered how long you need to wait to sow them. They look ready, but I have neer tried these before. Is there anything special about them that I should know? If anyone can help, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,
Traci S

CREZIERES, France(Zone 8a)

According to Deno (and he is usually right), you should remove the seeds from the berry (if one there be) and wash and clean them daily with mild detergent solution to remove the oil that prevents germination. Then sow as soon as possible.

You are so lucky to have fresh seed as it is almost impossible to get commercially...

According to Deno's data, most Magnolia (though he doesn't cite M. x kewensis) will germinate from either starting at low or high temperatures, but there is sometimes a big difference in the time taken and/or the success rate.

For this reason, I would divide your seeds in two and use the damp towel/coffee filter in the fridge method with one set (leave them 2 - 3 months, then bring them out and put them outside in a pot, and nature should do the rest).

Good luck! :o)

Mike

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.