Pepper Question?

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

Heard this tonight, does anyone know if it's true.... Male peppers have 3 bumps on the bottom and less seeds. Female peppers have 4 bumps on the bottom. Please, anybody know?

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

That's news to me.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Oh m'goodness!

I would think there is no male or female pepper. The pepper/fruit is the offspring of male/female pollination of flowers. The parts of the flowers contain the individual genders, not the fruit. Doesn't that sound right?

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

That's what I thot. She said this and I told her I was going to ask because I think someone is pulling her leg. She swears by it! It would make sense that 3 lobe fruits would have less seeds than 4 lobe fruits just by the fact you have one less lobe full of seeds. :)

Flanders, NJ(Zone 6a)

I'm not too sure about bumps and gender, hmmmm...male 2, female 2, peppers??? I don't think anything comes to mind. My leg will move on the 3-4 logic, but won't budge on the male/female notion. What was that again, 2...2..., ohhhh, my mind is else-where, not on peppers. LOL

Pembroke Pines, FL(Zone 10a)

Whatever!!! They still taste the same. Um um gooood!

Flanders, NJ(Zone 6a)

I agree Tplant, it's all good, just keep em' coming.

San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

New one on me. I had a pumpkin vine one time with only male flowers-had to buy the Halloween pumpkins that year! Headed out to investigate the peppers now lol.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Yeah! Someone came up with "eggplant with a little hole on the blossom end are female". I think the peppers are in the same catagory! Some people have to much time on their hands!
Bernie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.