Growing seeds on compost? I dream of flowers :)

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

Dear friends, (if you answer my question, you indeed are a friend)
My dreams are being fulfilled and the last of the pines in my yard have been removed, ground down, land graded, to make way for the start of my gardening paradise. The problem is I have more ambition than knowledge. So… here it is… I have ordered a large quantity of seeds from Ebay…Blanket Flower, Rudbeckia, Coneflower, Sunflowers….. and such. My huge bed area is currently red clay covered by a 4-6 inch layer of composted soil/mulch. I have figured out that I can get free compost from my County and wanted to know if it’s ok to just pile the compost on the top and spread my seeds where I want them or do I need to till the compost in with the clay or what do I do? Can I plant directly into compost or is this really not like true soil? How much compost should I pile on? How do I amend the soil to get great results and blow my husbands socks off and make him glad he spend the money for me to have the garden of my dreams. Bless you for your answer.

I dream of flowers.

Susan McCoy

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

Hello again,
I just ordered "Making More Plants: The Science, Art, and Joy of Propagation", and "FROM SEED TO BLOOM", so I will get a clue, but any helpful suggestions would be appreciated until I get to devour these books. Like, should I get the county compost and dump it all over my beds?? I know it's probably unnerving for some to see such a novice ask silly questions. Please bear with me. I will make you proud with blooms.

I dream of flowers

Susan McCoy

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Hi Susan,
Some of the seeds you have purchased are perrinals some are annuals,while the annuals will bloom and set seed for next year,the perrinals might take as much as 3 years to bloom for the first time,If you have as much as 6 inches of compost on top of you clay,your probably will not need to rotor till the soil,what your doing is instead creating a raised bed.
So continue on,sounds like your doing just fine,we learn more from our sucesses and our failures,and we all have had plenty of both.

Locust Grove, GA(Zone 7b)

Hi Susan

The county has terrible mulch, I have had a lot of "junk" come with it. See if you can find one of those tree trucks that has the machine that throws the mulch in the truck. That seems to be better mulch, and also shredded pretty good for decomposing. GOOD LUCK....... :)

Ed

P.S. If you have already got the mulch, then of course IGNORE ED........lol....... :)

Oak Grove, MN(Zone 4a)

Susan, how is the bed doing? I think planting directly in compost would be great-I have to keep weeding mine! I also saw suggestions once for planting tomatoes in the top of the compost pile. From the pictures, that worked great.

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks for checking up on me! Okay, well since this post I have learned quite a bit about the soil. I have taken an evening flower gardening class at Emory University and I’m an active member of three gardening clubs! I also read gardening books voraciously. My cousin, Skip Glover, who owns Glover Organic farms in Douglassville, advised me that the “free compost” that is supplied by our local Cobb County, is recycled human waste and it has a high amount of metals in it and of course it is not fit for food crops. Since I am going to be having my two little one in the flower garden with me as well, I won’t be using that. As far as making compost goes, I have come to the realization that it would take me years to make the amount of compost that I would need to cover the 10 X 180 feet of bed I want to amend and start planting in this fall. So, this is what I plan to do: I am going to buy stock in natures helper (just kidding) I’m going to purchase a pallet of natures helper (60 bags) and a pallet of mushroom compost (60 bags) and till it into my clay beds. (And have it delivered from Home Depot) I know this might not be enough, so I will just start with the front of the fence which divides this bed. I’m also going to be adding builder’s grade sand which, thankfully, my husband can provide through our business. If there’s one thing I’ve learned these last few months, it’s that you absolutely must start with the best soil you can afford or else your garden just won’t do well.

I do have a compost bin made from pallets and I have been composting there. In the beginning of summer I attended my Garden Clubs’ plant auction and bid on two tomato plants. No one else was bidding and the price went down to 2 plants for 1$ and I’m one of those silly gardeners who thinks I should buy every plant that is a steal. So…… I didn’t get around to planting them and they were getting very leggy and somewhat yellow. To rid myself of the guilt, I threw them into my compost pile (not planted them- THREW them!) Well, my mother in law came over and asked me if I was growing tomatoes to which I replied, “no”. I checked the compost bin and lo and behold, I had the most absolutely beautiful gorgeous tomato plants EVER! :) Of course they are staked up now. They are growing beautifully in that bin as they are off the ground and away from varmits. The have TEN tomatoes so far, and I just got “messenger” which I intend to spray and watch them go!

This is a positive omen that I will be a great gardener for the rest of my life, when what I throw away grows beautifully!
:)

Susan McCoy

This message was edited Sep 3, 2004 2:33 PM

This message was edited Sep 3, 2004 2:43 PM

Oak Grove, MN(Zone 4a)

Wow Susan! You are really doing great! Congratulations on all your projects. Kinda scary that the county gives away free human waste. I hope they are telling people what it is. I think I'm going to have to break down and order a truck of dirt this year too, but you are right to start with the best soil possible. Happy gardening!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.