Rescue Leggy Seedlings?

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

I have leggy seedlings? Is there anything I can do to rescue them?

Sodus, NY(Zone 6a)

You could try to transplant them deeper into the soil. If that doesn't work ... you might have to start over. Sad I know.

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

anastatia - I'm with odori...I'd try adding some seedling mix to the surface a little every few days. Also, are they trying to stretch to the light? That's what causes legginess. Might try lowering your grow lights (assuming your using some).

Otherwise, depending on what they are you might need to pinch them back to make them bushier. Zinnias I know have to pinches or they'll reach to the celing indoors before it's time to put them out!!

Some good advice above.

If they are getting sun from one direction turn the pots around once a day, the don't elongate qute so fast that way. Or if the sunlight isn't too harsh you could place a foil covered board behind them to spread the light a little more, if it gets hot though this method will bake them

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

Thankyou for the advice. I have added more soil so they are buried up to the top of their necks. Will try the foil deal tomorrow which will be overcast. I am not using lights. I just did not remove the cover from my little flats. I am one of those that looks but does not see, listens but does not hear.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.