Apples for pies

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Two years ago, I made pies from "King Lush" or sometimes called "King Luscious"... not quite an heirloom variety, as it was "found" in 1938 near Hendersonville, NC, but Oh, MY! what a fantastic pie it makes!!!

A few weeks later, I saw a segment on apple pies on Martha's show and she raved about the King Lush taste. (Not that I think she's so great.) Of course, no more were available then in my area.

They are only available for about 3 weeks in the fall around here and this year I plan to get a bushel or two and put up (can) some apple pie filling.

If you want to grow an excellent apple for pies, you might consider this one!

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

Darius I have two king trees and while I don't ever remember them having any other names attached to them they do get ripe in the fall and do make good pies and apple sause. I remember fifty years ago the wicked neighbor down the street had a King that was quite old and it like mine had a remarkable crop every year.

I think I will reasearch this name a bit and try to see if they are one in the same. Ernie

Louisville, KY

Big Horse Creek Farm Nursery in Ashe County North Carolina grows and sells Heritage/Heirloom Apple Trees. They list the King Luscious Apple variety and many others.
Gary/Louisville

King Luscious - Although this apple is not considered an heirloom variety, it is quite a popular apple in western North Carolina. Discovered as a seedling in 1935 in Hendersonville, NC, it was introduced by the Will Dalton Nursery. The skin is greenish-yellow covered with deep red and overlaid with darker red striping. The flesh is yellowish-white, fine-grained, crisp and juicy. A very flavorful apple ripening in October.

http://www.bighorsecreekfarm.com/index.html

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

Gary you found the answer for me thank you I think my kings and the King luscious are one in the same. Do you suppose Johnny walked to Washington to?. Ernie

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Here's more info:
King Luscious is a 20th century apple found growing in1935 as a chance seedling near Hendersonville, North Carolina. A rather small tree, it is a heavy annual bearer, blooming a bit later than Rome. Some disease tolerance, the fruit is large, pale yellow overlaid with deep red and darker red stripes. Flesh is yellowish white, fine-grained, crisp juicy flesh. Ripens in October and keeps well.

Near the town of Spruce Pine, N.C. at Milepost 328.3 of the Parkway lies The Orchard at Altapass, a reclaimed historic orchard that dates back to 1908 and was almost lost to a developer's bulldozer.

But the orchard was saved by Kit Trubey, a real estate agent in Cary, N.C., who bought the orchard and the surrounding property in January 1995 and recruited her brother Bill Carson to restore it.

The Orchard at Altapass is open 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. seven days a week from Memorial Day through the first week in November.

Altapass Orchard, www.altapassorchard.com
Gretchen Mosier
1111 Orchard Road, BRP Milepost 328.3
Spruce Pine, NC 28777
888-765-9531, 828/765-9314
gmosier@mitchell.main.nc.us

Hundred year old Heritage apple varieties: Virginia Beauty, Grimes Golden, Stayman-Winesap, King Luscious, York, Rome, Golden & Red Delicious, MacIntosh. Local crafts and storytelling hay rides available.

Call Toll Free: 1-888-765-9531
FAX: 1-828-766-9455
PO Box 245 Little Switzerland North Carolina 28749
E-mail to: gmosier@mitchell.main.nc.us
Your Hosts Bill & Judy Carson, Kit Trubey, Gretchen Mosier carsonw@bellsouth.net
King Luscious
The largest apple we grow - very juicy and sweet - fine for eating and for light cooking.

Louisville, KY

I have dear friends who had lived in the city working for many years; when they retired, they bought an old Homestead in Michigan. It had a very old orchard; the trees had not been cared for for a long time. They consulted the university and were advised that the apple trees were quite rare and to cut out the the many branches so that ..."if you flung a cat by the tail thru the trees they would not be caught in the branches." And, "to use a baseball bat to beat the trunks of the trees." This would cause new growth." My friends are along in years now as well as myself.
Gary/Louisville

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.