what will root in water?

hickory, NC(Zone 7a)

does anyone know of a site that might tell me what plants and shrubs or trees root in water? i would love any info i can get on this thanks
moretz

Colorado Springs, CO(Zone 6a)

i have been looking for about an hour now trying to find a page that had a good list of things to water root. Nothing in the way of lists so far. I wonder if we could start a list here, of things people have successfully water rooted in the meantime?

Plants, probably lots. Some that I know are easy to start in water are easy to start in compost too. Sedum spectabile, Impatiens, mint, Veronica....
I think you could start some dogwoods, for sure Willows will start in water, in fact putting willow in the water to soak, helps root other plants. If you do your starts in spring you'll have quicker results. Poplar is another good bet. Sorry, I'm not familiar with most of the ones you'd probably want to start, but try, what have you got to lose?

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

I have this propagation books that doesn't show that you can root honeysuckle in water. But I'd tried it last year, before getting this book, and it worked! It's growing outside now, survived the very harsh January we had - so who knows! It was sort of an experiement for me. According to this book, you use rooting hormone, clip the leaves, etc and place in a rooting medium (soil). Well - go figure! Ya just never know.

(I did take 3 cuttings, and only one of them took in the water - so.............)

Also - this is something I just learned! Willow trees have some secret ingredient that helps root things. So if you take a cutting of that and place it in the same water - it might just surprise you. I haven't tried it just yet - but I'm going to!

Maben, MS(Zone 7b)

Confederate Rose roots easy in water, I rotted about 15 last fall.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Willow trees, esp. tip cuttings in early spring, contain a rooting hormone.

To make your own: Clip a handful of tips in very early spring, just as they are beginning to bud. Soak them in a quart of water for a couple of days and you have a quart of rooting hormone. Keep refrigerated, and then soak cuttings in it.

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

Thanks Darius - I had heard something about that. Does it really work?

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Karrie, it did for me. I didn't keep it long.... maybe 4 weeks, and used it up. I only made a quart.

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

I will definitely give that a try then! :)

The Heart of Texas, TX(Zone 8b)

I have a list of about 200 of plants & bushes so far I have been working on- if you are looking for something special I would be glad to look it up for you...Thanks Lottie

Danbury, NH(Zone 5b)

I would love to have a list.
bilyn (Linda)

Colorado Springs, CO(Zone 6a)

So I dont have much experience with rooting in water, but the plants that I have done successfully are:

sweet basil
philodendron
brugs
passiflora

hehe, told you it wasnt extensive! whats worked for yall?

Austell, GA(Zone 7a)

Does weeping willow qualify as willow?

Brundidge, AL(Zone 8b)

good question i have weeping willow and pond willow which should i use? I need to kow if i van rott bottle brush or roses or yancy gray beards in water?

hickory, NC(Zone 7a)

MsCritterkeeper
i would love your list as well thanks
moretz

Tallahassee, FL(Zone 8b)

Isn't the willow where aspirin comes from? Probably not, but I just wondered? (salicylic acid (sp?))

Tallahassee, FL(Zone 8b)

I just googled "aspirin and willows."

I remembered that florists sometimes recommend putting an aspirin in a vase of flowers to make them last longer.

Try the above google. I didn't have time to pull up each site listed (I gotta get to sleep) but, just from the descriptions, it looks like you might be able to use some dosage of aspirin to assist with rooting in water, especially if you don't have access to willows.

Check it out! I try to get time to look at it tomorrow.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.