Combo fruit tree question

Tulsa, OK(Zone 7a)

Hi
We bought a combo fruit cocktail tree from Raintree last year and planted it last spring right when we got it.
I now have little fruit springing up everywhere!
Is this unusual for it to fruit in the first year? Should I pluck some of them off?
This 3 way combo has apricots, 2 kinds of plums and peaches. I had heard not to let them fruit the first year.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

I've heard that also (not picking the first year). However, I tend to believe if your tree is good and settled in with adequate root system go ahead and let it do its own thing.

Fruit trees tend to be "self thinning" and if there is more fruit on the tree than the tree can support it will let some drop off.

Hope you have a good harvest...it may be small but you'll get a good sampling I bet!

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

I never let apple trees have more than two or three apples for three years. An old man about fifty told me if you let prolific young trees bear to much early they don't have enough energy to make a good tree and fruit at the same time and the tree suffers for it. Now I am an old man and don't know how he knew this but I do have good apple trees.

There must be some written guidelines perhaps the web or the people you bought your trees from or the extension service in your area. Maybe apple trees are in a class of their own because of the size of their fruit. Ernie

Shoe are your Tumblers growing? Iplanted mine A week ago and they are going like gangbusters.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Mine are in pots, and doing well. (Growing much faster than other varieties planted at the same time.) Haven't decided whether to grow them in big "baskets" or container plant them for having on the deck.

Tulsa, OK(Zone 7a)

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll take a photo of the tree when I get the time. Let you all see how much fruit's on it.
I am pleased with all the trees I planted last year and it was the first time I ordered any fruit trees online.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.