Should all seedlings be pinched back?

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

This is my first year starting seeds indoors. I've got zinnias, calendula, and columbine that are getting pretty tall and have several sets of leaves. Do these need to be pinched? What are the rules on pinching back? Thanks! Brenda

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

I never pinch seedlings. Let them develop a few true leaves before considering pinching them. I also wait to do my pinching when I transplant them outdoors.

duluth, MN(Zone 4a)

I have pinched back seedlings like impatiens that are starting to get to leggy, usually because I started them to soon. but I don't consider doing so until the plants have several leaves. I think it helps the plants to fill out.

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

I guess to me, seedlings are what you have before you get true leaves - that is why I don't pinch them.

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Karrie--so I've got about 6-8 leaves on each of the zinnias, in your opinion it's okay to go ahead and pinch since it's still a bit early for me to put them out??

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

probably - I've just never done it that way. It would probably help prevent them from getting too lanky, and help them bush out better. Maybe you should just do half of them, so you can compare?

Colorado Springs, CO(Zone 6a)

i think with zinnias in particular, it would be good to pinch them back. i grew zinnias from seed last year and didnt do anything but water them and they grew over 7 feet long (not tall, since they fell over at about 3 ft) !! but thats just in my experience.

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

I grew some zinnias once that got very very tall - I definitely planted them in the wrong place - looked like a sore thumb! I decided from then on to do dwarfs!

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

This showed up in my email today courtesy of arcamax, info from NGA. I thought of you. :)

Question: Do any of the following plants need to be pinched back for thicker growth: snapdragons, impatiens, petunias, and salvia?

Answer: To maintain bushy growth, all these annuals should be pinched back, starting when they are seedlings. Wait until they have put on several inches of growth before pinching out the growing tips. This will encourage branching. You can continue to occasionally pinch back shoots, or cut back leggy growth, throughout the summer to encourage longer bloom.

I strongly encourage you to look up each plant you want to know about. Some things will not benefit from being pinched out. For others, the result will be nice bushy plants.

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

I pinch most stuff. Even cut the tops of my trees works for me.
My zennias are started in side and grow 3 to so feet because I like taller ones are you sure your falling Zennias was not due to light or fertilizer? Ernie.

GOD's Green Earth, United States(Zone 8b)

On Zinnias, in particular, Only pinch them if you want a bushy plant with lots of flowers. If you are growing them for spectacular, big blooms, don't pinch them. They may need to be staked, as wind and rain can bend them over. As Badseed stated above, read about your plants and do what's required for each individual. There is no one hard and fast rule that applies to all seedlings.

Karrie: Webster's Dictionary definition for a seedling:

Main Entry: seed·ling
Pronunciation: 'sEd-li[ng]
Function: noun
1 : a young plant grown from seed
2 a : a young tree before it becomes a sapling b : a nursery plant not yet transplanted
- seedling adjective

Hope that's helpful :)

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

lol - I always thought it was the plant before the true leaves appeared. Thanks!

you're welcome :)

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Remarkably...."seedling" is NOT in the Botanary!! Kaufmann? Will you do the honors?

I added it to the database, but it hasn't shown up... must be like adding a pic to PDB...

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

2nd post on this thread - what is that underlining all about or am I the only one that sees it?

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

Underlining? none here

Colorado Springs, CO(Zone 6a)

yea i dont see any either. hehe uhooh karrie's seeing things... ;)

The Dalles, OR(Zone 8b)

I don't see underlining anywhere on this thread.

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

Having alot of computer problems. It probably has something to do with that. lol! seeing things? maybe that too!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.