Forsythia and flowering quince

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

These two shrubs are past peak bloom here and I was wondering if this might be a good time to take some softwood cuttings on the new growth.

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

It is for the forsythia, can't speak for the quince as I know nothing about them.
Forsythia pruning is best done right after bloom, so the perfect time to take cuttings.

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Thanks, Rikerbear!!!

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

My pleasure :-)
I find my forsythia root best if I harden off the cuttings for a good 24 hr period and than put them in the ground around their 'mommies' feet......come Fall you should have a nice root system on them and can than move them or pot them up.

Elizabethton, TN(Zone 7a)

I always just stuck them in a vase of water. They bloom, then root.
But even though it always worked for me, it may not for you - water quality has a lot to do with it.

Lakemont, GA(Zone 8a)

Lenjo, I just recently rec'd some Quince cuttings from someone and they seem fine.
I prefer to root my Forsythia in fall or late winter, by just sticking them in the ground. Have had excellent results this way.
Good luck to you!!

Elizabethton, TN(Zone 7a)

I started my method accidentally, by bringing in branches in later winter to force for blooms. They bloomed, but by the time the flowers faded roots had started. I never saw any reason to do it any other way after that.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.