Heating Greenhouses

Erwin, TN(Zone 7a)

I heat with Diesel -it is less expensive than Gas, and the heater units are less $ also-Diesel also has more BTU per gal -136000 compared to 90+ 000 for propane-I built a homemade heater for $400 that can max out at 270,000 BTU /hr-If anyone is interested I will share what I have done--Michael

Willacoochee, GA(Zone 8b)

of course I'm interested...
especially if it could run bio-diesel.

drew

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

sounds mighty interesting to me, too. Gonna post plans, or more info?

Erwin, TN(Zone 7a)

I have been heating greenhouses for the last 10 years with this home-made heater--I made it with an incinerator unit I bought from Burn Easy [I will include the address below] and 55 gal drums--[free]I cut a 16 inch diameter hole in the center of the drums [except the ones at each end] and bolted them together to form a long tube-I then hooked up the flue pipe to one end and the heat unit to the other-I put a thermostat [from Graingers] in the power supply line and a tank-[or gas can of Diesel in florida] and a filter-I burn a mixture of Diesel and drain oil[no more than 25%] and you can burn Bio Fuels as long as you insure there is ample lubricant to protect the life of the pump[$50 if you don't]--alcohol does not work alone-you must add drain-oil or diesel---Bio-Diesel may by fine[probly]--it has been trouble free for 10 years-except for replacing pumps when I was learning--

You dont need the Incinerator--Just the heater unit that they put on the Incinerators- [replacement Burner]

Burn-Easy Animal Carcass Incinerators
R&K Incinerator Co.
Decator,IN 46733
!-800-233-1163

Lary Lewis Livestock Incinerator
Cedar,Iowa 52543
Sales-515-933-4762--Service 800-933-4761

National Incinerator Inc.
Boaz,AL 35957
205-589-6720 fax205-589-2326

Thumbnail by Michaelp
Erwin, TN(Zone 7a)

PS this unit I am pictureing is too short--the Exhost still glows red--even with the make-up air being drawn past the exhost as a heat exchanger--it should be at least 3 barrols longer--more would be more efficient--Michael

hmm rednecky enough, it just might work for me....

really neat.
bio-diesel btw generally is a better lube than regular diesel.

I wonder how I could do this in my state inspected commercial greenhouses without being noticed :-)

drew

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

drew, do they inspect your heater, or your products and the materials you use to grow them (sprays, etc)?

That's a great heater system, Michael. I think my greenhouse would be too small for that (35X50 or so)...by the time I extended what I see in your pic it would take up most of one wall.

Do you use some sort of fan to push the heat thru-out the rest of your g-house, or how does that work?

(If I couldn't use that system in my g-house I bet it would sure heat up my shoffice though!)

Erwin, TN(Zone 7a)

The exhost from the unit puts out only heat waves no smoke at all-the temps in the unit insure a compleet burn.
The green house is 4000 sq ft - this unit heated a house I had in Utah that was a little larger-at -15 degrees [below zero] I could still maintain 55 degrees- for my Tomatoes-
Heat circulation is convection--I build my houses on a slope of at least 2% and install the heater at the low end--this causes the heat to flow out along the roof and return fully mixed along the floor-when the heater has been running for about 2 min-I begin to feel the draft from the air movement-the air movement really helps with preventing some of the normal disease problems I used to have in the winter--I can see the plants moving in the breeze and I feel it has increased my pollination, and tomato production -and it helps with those stagnant air places in the corners and the sides that were a disease problem before I tried this experiment.

shoe, they inspect everything...
I got a warning over using "agricultural grade acephate" instead of horticultural grade...
the difference? hort grade is twice as expensive... same stuff tho.

I also got a warning last time over my woodstoves that are just 55gal drums.

drew

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Mercy Drew! How do you qualify for such stringent inspections? You got a government contract or sumpin'??

At least they didn't tell you to replace your woodstoves with store-bought ones. I wonder now if they'd let you use the heaters like Michael has shown us.

and to think... I pay the state about $200 a year for this 'service'

Erwin, TN(Zone 7a)

I tried running the heater on waste vegatable oil from a restaurant and that worked fine-if it wasn't too thick--mixing half and half with diesel worked better

Flat Rock, NC(Zone 7b)

What about those of us with just a tiny greenhouse? We're getting one that's like 6x8. What would a kerosene space heater do for that? I know I'd have to burn it on the lowest setting possible; but what about noxious fumes? Any ideas? Btw, 'Shoe, what's a 'shoffice???

This message was edited Jul 15, 2004 1:22 PM

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Shaz....first, get a bigger g-house, or add on to that one. That's the perfect size to make you go stir crazy! (You'll outgrow it fast.)

A small kero heater will do the job, so will a small electric one in that size g-house. A propane heater with a thermostat (bout the same cost as a kero heater) will burn cleaner and also regulate your temps better.

As for "shoffice"...a word coined by my DD, when she was probably 7 yrs old or maybe younger...

...the building I'm now sitting in used to be called my shop. At some point in time I decided to re-vamp it (insulate the walls, put in cheaper particle board to hold the insulation in, put in a ceiling, etc) and move my computer and all my garden/farming/marketing records and books down here. It mainly became my "office". DD didn't like the fact that is was no longer gonna be the SHOP (she's hung out down here w/me from Day One), so out of the blue one day she said, "We can call it the Shoffice!" I was happily acceptable w/that! Part shop, part office = Shoffice. To this day that's what we call it.

Thumbnail by Horseshoe
Flat Rock, NC(Zone 7b)

Well, I like the name! This greenhouse was just given to me a few days ago, so it's still empty at this point. But I DO anticipate growing out of it very quickly! I already have a couple kero heaters leftover from when we had our 100 yr old house almost 5 years ago. Thanks AGAIN, 'Shoe!!

Erwin, TN(Zone 7a)

I have had some trouble using propane and kerosene in the past when I did not vent the exhost--the Ethlene gas messed up the tomatoes some--maybe if the heaters were real efficient it would not be such a problem--Michael

This message was edited Jul 15, 2004 9:13 PM

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

My big propane heater is exhausted to the outside...no worries there. And if you have a g-house that is not completely airtight a small kero will do fine. (I used a wood stove in my first g-house.)

Michael, you still doing good with your burn barrels? Was wondering if you ever added on to them to increase your heat and decrease your "red hot" area.

Erwin, TN(Zone 7a)

No I havent yet--but plan to--It will have to be done before winter--procrastinate I think is the word---Michael

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

I know that word purty well! Bet I can do it better than you!

Hope your growing is doing good. By the way, what do you grow in the Fla hot months? Any success at anything?

Erwin, TN(Zone 7a)

I grow Malabar Spinach and Calaloo [veg amaranth] and lots of hot peppers, Gingers-and Cassia family-I use the hot months to cleen it out and haul in manure--and cook the bugs that have been thriving in there-the tomatoes started tasting nasty about the last week of june---so I took them out---

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

ugh...nasty maters are not fun!

Guess you'd best be a pepper farmer in the hot months, eh?

Erwin, TN(Zone 7a)

Yes the peppers seam to be fine at 120 deg temps ??

Thumbnail by Michaelp
Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Very pretty!

Erwin, TN(Zone 7a)

Carribean Red Habanero --just a dab will do

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Lordy, tell me about it! I was surprised to see worms eating on mine! Thought nothing would mess with those things!

Erwin, TN(Zone 7a)

I have had some caterpillar ,and white fly , and aphids, from time to time--eat Habanero--?? I am not the only one that likes them I guess-

Erwin, TN(Zone 7a)

Got around to adding some more barrels to the heater ,it works much better- the exhost is still to hot to touch but most of the heat is kept in the greenhouse now--looks like 7, 55gal drums is a good number---

Thumbnail by Michaelp

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.