Suggestions please for what to plant in dense shade

Richmond Hill, NY(Zone 7a)

Hi all,

I'm new to this site and hope you can help me with my totally shady yard.

About ten years ago the house next to ours was sold, torn down and a school built in its place.

We used to have a lovely, natural shade garden but with the new building being almost at the property line and the windows remaining open most of the time we have lost not only our garden but also our privacy since my kitchen and deck face the school.

We’ve allowed all the self-seeded “weed” trees that to sprung up along the fence line to continue to grow and now, at least when they leaf out, we have a bit of visual privacy.

The problem is that everything that once grew in this space has died and we now have only a bit of moss and lots of mud when it rains. The space between the fence and the deck is approximately 15-20 feet wide with a path through it that leads to an apartment above an old carriage house (now garage). We’ve put pavers in place for the tenants but the shade becomes more dense with each passing year. We will be cutting back some of the branches so hopefully a bit of light well get through.

I'd like to put in some plants (shrubs, ground cover, perennials) that can withstand this dense shade but haven't a clue as to what will survive. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

Sounds like hosta heaven to me! Some of mine are in total shade and they're always bigger than the ones in part shade (same cultivar). In my shade bed I put 3 hostas in the back (actually I'm adding Japanese fern behind them this year), then 3 Purple Palace Heuchera, 3 pink astilbe, 3 purple and white columbines. In front of them I had 3 Tiarella but they weren't happy and one died, so last fall I moved them behind the hostas and hopefully they do better there. So I put 3 green Heuchera where the Tiarella were and added Sweet Woodruff and Lamiastrum in the front. I will put annual impatiens in the very front. Last year I had coleus in the front and they were pretty but even with constantly pinching them back, they got too tall so I'm going with impatiens this year. I'm z4 and you're much warmer so you probably have much more choices than I for shaded areas.

Also, Welcome to Dave's Garden! Have you visited the welcome mat yet? Everyone will love to meet you!

edited to add: Visit the Welcome Mat and say hello! Do you know your way around? Click on the flower/vine in the right top corner, click on the 'Welcome Mat' forum and then on 'Welcome secondwind' and say "howdy"!

This message was edited Mar 28, 2004 8:53 AM

Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

Hi Secondwind, and welcome to Dave's Garden. I hope you love it as much as I do. Everyone here is so friendly and helpful.

I just wanted to add that, in addition to all the wonderful suggestions Kooger gave you, consider planting dwarf mondo grass along your path. I'm actually doing that this afternoon. I'm adding stepping stones and planting the grass all along and in between. If you don't want the stones, just plant the mondo grass. It can take some traffic (not heavy), never looks ratty, and you won't have to mow it. Downside is that it's expensive. Upside is that you probably have neighbors who are more than willing to share. People on this site are always willing to trade plants, too.

Good luck!

Clanton, AL(Zone 8a)

Welcome to Daves Garden! It is so nice here to find information and make friends.
Do you have wild hydrangea bushes in the woods up there in NY? We have them here in Alabama and i have gotten several out of the woods. I have mine in some sun but they grow in shade in the woods here in Alabama. I think you would love them. Mine have huge white flowers on them and are absolutely beautiful. I have posted a picture here of this bush. It gets morning shade and afternoon sun for the most part. There is another bush just like it to the left of the dahlia on the left of the picture that doesnt do nearly so well. I have no idea why but this one does much better than the one next to it. I am anxiously waiting on it to bloom again this year. It is budding out now. I do believe this bush would do well in the shady part of your yard. In the fall and winter months it will shed its leaves and just look woody but will come out and bloom again in the spring. Robbie

Thumbnail by bagby039

Thank you all for the replies.

Kooger, Tiarella is new to me but on looking it up it sounds like it might work quite well. We have two leatherleaf viburnum bushes in the shade and so far they have survived but are getting leggy. As for Hosta, we have quite a few plants in other areas of the garden so I'll break them up and plant some in this area. Astilbe is something I always wanted but thought it was too dark here. I guess I can start with two or three plants and see how they do.

bagby039, I'd love the hydrangea, one of my favorite plants in any variety, but they don't grow wild where I am in NY. A few years ago I transplanted some mopheads from the garden of a house that was being torn down and they've done very well and my petiolaris is my absolute favorite at any time of year but I don't think will grow in the shade.

pinus2006, the mondo grass sounds great and I'll definitely look for some. If it takes hold my tenant will be pleased.

So folks, with all this information at hand I have a good excuse to take myself to the garden center/nursery and make some great purchases.

I'll let you know how things turn out and maybe next year, if all goes well, I'll be proud enough to post a picture.

Thanks again,

Secondwind

Clanton, AL(Zone 8a)

What about impatiens then. They dont like sun and wouldnt survive the winter but would be lovely during the summer months. Robbie

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

Impatiens are really wonderful and need so little care. If they need water,they droop and they are self-deadheading which is great. They really brighten up a dark spot! If you can, put some where you can see them from your window so you can enjoy them inside and out!! :) Be sure to ask if someone is splitting anything you're looking for because DG members are the most sharing-est people I've ever met!!

Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

And don't forget that hummers just love impatiens!

Princeton, IL(Zone 5a)

If you go over to the hosta forum this summer, we have some great fun with Secret Hosta Trades!

You will get some great plants and even greater friends!

LimeyLisa Kay

Piedmont, MO(Zone 6a)

Welcome!
You might also try ajuga, vinca, wild ginger, creeping jenny, or English Ivy for groundcovers, and caladiums, begonias, hellebores, ferns, arums, polemonium, and heucheras for interest.
Good luck with whatever you choose.

Limerick, PA(Zone 6b)

Most bulbs would give you at least one good display, more if they're OK with the shade. Years ago I volunteered for the Horticultural Center at Fairmount Park in Philadelphia. They dug up all their bulbs from a display garden every fall and planted new ones. I was offered, and took, a couple of grocery bags full and got a decent outcome in the following year. I think this is a common practice for institutions that maintain bulb gardens.

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions. After tax day we're planning on laying the area out graph paper indicating the placment and spacing of the plants we want.

We are planning on selling the house in a few years so I don't want to invest too much money but by the same token I want it to look nice for myself and the new owners.

LimeyLisa, I definitely take you up on the Hosta forum, they are one of my favorite.

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

Does Tiarella bloom long? That's foam flower, right?

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

yes, it's foam flower and it blooms fairly early in spring but I can't remember for how long. A number of weeks, at least. Maybe someone else remembers better. :)

Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

Tiarella is one of my favorite plants. There are so many varieties that include different leaf shapes, color combinations, flower color (white and pink), and they can either spread or clump. The flowers last for well over a month and they are great companion plants for hostas, ferns, etc.

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

thanks, pins

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.